You are here

Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 14, 2020 7:45 am

Perhaps the biggest long term takeaway for me from this upgrade is that Apple very, very clearly have a long term view of the future of Logic and are investing the development resources to keep it in the top flight of DAWs. This is very reassuring.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8654
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby Urthlupe » Thu May 14, 2020 8:35 am

Wease wrote:Nice

Wease
...and particularly nice to see your little mug again bud...... :mrgreen:

Sx
User avatar
Urthlupe
Regular
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:00 am
Location: West Midlands/Pembrokeshire UK

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby heffalump » Thu May 14, 2020 10:11 am

Downloaded yesterday. Trying to open window for NI’s Replika Plugin crashes Logic. NI emailed the following this morning.

NEED TO KNOW: LOGIC PRO X 10.5 UPDATE

Hi there,
Apple recently released an update to Logic Pro X – Logic Pro X 10.15.

If you’re using MASSIVE X, CRUSH PACK, MOD PACK, REPLIKA or REPLIKA XT, you might encounter some issues or crashes after updating.

We’re already working on a fix, which we’ll share with you as soon as we can. Check our support area for the latest.

We’ll keep you updated.

Best wishes,
Native
heffalump
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby desmond » Thu May 14, 2020 10:27 am

Yep. There seems to also be some problem with some plugins in multi-output mode, from anecdotal reports...
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9606
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby redlester » Thu May 14, 2020 11:28 am

According to a poster on another forum Spectrasonics are aware of the automation problem with their instruments and have said they will issue a fix ASAP.
redlester
Regular
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby desmond » Fri May 15, 2020 1:22 pm

desmond wrote:Well I managed to install a new (patched) Mojave system as a test, and the first results were encouraging, so I'll try to see if I can upgrade my machine properly and see what the consequences are.

My main system is running the patched Mojave now and seems OK *touch wood* (it even seems to have fixed a few niggling issues with High Sierra, which is a nice bonus).

I had to upgrade a couple of pieces of software, notably Little Snitch, as 3.x won't work on Mojave, it requires 4.x. We'll see what other weirdness it may bring as I start to use it.

Anyway, as usual with OS upgrades, my whole web development environment is hosed so I need to get down and dirty in the Terminal to fix all that now...
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9606
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby al_diablo » Sun May 17, 2020 11:07 pm

There is a lot in this update I wanted from a Logic update.

I'm on high sierra (2010 mac pro) but willing to update. I've found out I can replace my GPU and it will let me install Mojave, so I have a new one on the way I found on Ebay. If that works, I'm laughing!

At least I can do the whole install on a clean hard drive and keep everything else as is
al_diablo
Regular
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby desmond » Sun May 17, 2020 11:43 pm

al_diablo wrote:I've found out I can replace my GPU and it will let me install Mojave

Yes, as long as it supports Metal, you should be ok.

Without a Metal-capable graphics card, Logic hard crashes in a couple of places (essentially, Smart Controls and Drum Machine Designer) on patched Mojave systems - it just expects Metal to be available.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9606
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby Stephen Bennett » Mon May 18, 2020 3:16 pm

al_diablo wrote:There is a lot in this update I wanted from a Logic update.

I'm on high sierra (2010 mac pro) but willing to update. I've found out I can replace my GPU and it will let me install Mojave, so I have a new one on the way I found on Ebay. If that works, I'm laughing!

At least I can do the whole install on a clean hard drive and keep everything else as is

I upgraded my 2010 5.1's GPU and the CPU to a 6 core. All working lovely with Mojave. I'm not a heavy VST user so haven't taxed the system at all—it takes everything I can throw at it.

I gather it's a CPU security issue that is stopping Apple supporting Catalina on the Metalled 2010. That and 'get a new Mac Pro' I guess. There's not a technical reason it's not supported.

Annoying!

I might try a patcher first if/when I need to go Catalina.

As I use UAD/Metric Halo, any computer upgrade is going to cost a lot of cash for no appreciable benefit.

Stephen
User avatar
Stephen Bennett
Regular
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:00 am
Location: England
New: Galasphere 347 album 'Eponymous' Feat: Stephen Bennett, Ketil Vestrum Einarsen, Jacob Holm-Lupo, and Mattias Olsson

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby al_diablo » Mon May 18, 2020 10:30 pm

Good to know it should work, thanks. If you do go down the patcher and Catalina route I'd be interested to see how it turns out. But hopefully this version of Logic will keep me going for a while :)
al_diablo
Regular
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby Forum Admin » Tue May 19, 2020 9:14 am

al_diablo wrote:...hopefully this version of Logic will keep me going for a while :)

Didn't you say that on v10.4 ? :D :D :D :D :D
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 3298
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby IAA » Tue May 19, 2020 9:19 am

I definitely said that on 8, oh, and 9 as I recall.....
IAA
Frequent Poster
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:00 am

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby Wease » Thu May 21, 2020 1:42 am

Hey Urthlupe...nice to see u too!
Hope all is good with u n yours!

Wease
User avatar
Wease
Frequent Poster
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Sunny Walsall

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby al_diablo » Thu May 21, 2020 11:26 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
al_diablo wrote:...hopefully this version of Logic will keep me going for a while :)

Didn't you say that on v10.4 ? :D :D :D :D :D

I've been saying it since v4!
al_diablo
Regular
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby Forum Admin » Fri May 22, 2020 8:41 am

al_diablo wrote:I've been saying it since v4!

That's the wondrous thing about tech - you don't know you need it until someone invents it and you give it a try.
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 3298
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

PreviousNext