You are here

Best mac mini for my Logic use?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Best mac mini for my Logic use?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed May 13, 2020 11:02 am

Sort of prompted by the new Logic upgrade, which I can't run, I'm thinking it's maybe time to upgrade from my old MBP Late 2011 (2.8ghz i7 16gb ram 1tb ssd) as it increasingly struggles with complex plugins like Waves Abbey Road Chambers and running lots of other high CPU plugins and instruments.

I might run up to 50 tracks on a project, including perhaps 3 midi drums or percussion tracks, at least four or five other midi instruments, twenty odd audio, esp voices with lots of insert plugs and several sends with stuff like SOundtoys on. I'm constantly freezing tracks even when running at fairly high latencies. I'd like to run a big project without worrying about this. I spend bloody hours freezing and unfreezing or simply not using the AR stuff.

So I was thinking of a Mac Mini, perhaps the 3ghz 6 core i5 with 16gb ram and 1tb ssd. This would come in at a hefty £1499 but they're doing 2 years interest free credit at the mo. What do you chaps think of this? Other options/suggestions?

Cheers chaps
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Best mac mini for my Logic use?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed May 13, 2020 11:25 am

Sorry, to add, thinking of a Mini as I have a nice screen, use a bamboo pad and an apple trackpad and keyboard and kensington trackball, so peripherals all covered. My MBP sits with its lid closed under my monitor.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed May 13, 2020 11:33 am

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:So I was thinking of a Mac Mini, perhaps the 3ghz 6 core i5 with 16gb ram and 1tb ssd. This would come in at a hefty £1499 but they're doing 2 years interest free credit at the mo.

Is that only on new kit or refurb as well? If it is then that's where I'd be looking. Personally I like the look of the current Mini and that spec sounds pretty decent to me. If it had come out just a couple of months earlier I might have got one of those instead of the iMac pro. You'll still have your MBP if you need to do anything mobile.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed May 13, 2020 11:43 am

OOOh, good question, I'll check. :thumbup:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed May 13, 2020 11:49 am

No Minis there at all sadly.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby zenguitar » Wed May 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Might be worth waiting and checking again in a month or so. With the Apple stores all closed I would imagine that there are a lot less machines being returned/upgraded which will affect the supply of refurb machines.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed May 13, 2020 12:47 pm

Good point. How much cheaper are refurb macs? So say on a new £1500 one what would a refurb one typically cost?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby fatbenelton » Wed May 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Usually 10-15% cheaper....sometimes more, sometimes less. You should be able to get a feel for it by looking at whatever is on there now and then configuring a new one to see what the difference is.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed May 13, 2020 2:04 pm

The discount is worth having. We've had three Apple refurbs over the years. All were in immaculate condition on arrival with full warranties. Interestingly they usually came with an earlier version of the OS, the one prevalent at the time the machine was first released. This can be quite useful. If you're not in a hurry it's worth hanging around for a while till a machine you want comes along.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Wed May 13, 2020 2:57 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:No Minis there at all sadly.
There was a bunch there on Saturday, 2018 models, which I think (but could be wrong) are the same as the current model.
So, they might appear again.
After reading the review of the MacPro in this months mag, it looks like when it's time to replace my cheesegrater MacPro, it will be with a mac mini!
That £1400 option is about the same price I paid for my refurbed MacPro 6 years ago!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed May 13, 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks, I'll keep checking.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed May 13, 2020 3:05 pm

Is that only on new kit or refurb as well?

Yes they're doing the never, never (as my dad used to call it!) on refurbs too.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed May 13, 2020 4:23 pm

Kwackman wrote:After reading the review of the MacPro in this months mag, it looks like when it's time to replace my cheesegrater MacPro, it will be with a mac mini!
That £1400 option is about the same price I paid for my refurbed MacPro 6 years ago!

As I say, I'm quite impressed with the current Mini so I can see that! There's nearly as much I/O as on my iMac Pro!

Good news about the free credit.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed May 13, 2020 4:33 pm

Here's a stress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74oo4yz7pcYtest of the i5 model I'm thinking about...
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kwackman » Wed May 13, 2020 5:15 pm

What monitor are you going to use with it Dr Huge?
I run twin 4x3 monitors atm, but really think one large widescreen would work better.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Next