You are here

Workaround for Cubase tempo map?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Workaround for Cubase tempo map?

Postby MadManDan » Sun May 17, 2020 8:34 am

Hi all

Hope everybody's keeping safe. Using Cubase Artist, I'm trying to turn an audio click into a tempo map. But it seems I must have Cubase Pro to make this work. Is there any workaround? Another program I could throw the click into, then bring the midi file back in, to make a map?

Thanks MMD
MadManDan
Frequent Poster

Late '14 mini 3 GHz i7 16 GB
Hi Sier 10.13.3. Glyph atomic. FF Scarlet 18i8. 
Sup Drum 3. Pro Tools 2019.6.0.  Cubase 10.5 Artist
iCon iKb 8x.  Mics, spkrs, 'phones, gtrs, greedy cat

Re: Workaround for cubase tempo map?

Postby Kwackman » Sun May 17, 2020 10:07 am

If you just need an audio click covered to a MIDI track, I should be able to do that for you.
I've no idea how to covert a MIDI track into a Tempo map, never done it!
But, I'm happy to try the audio to MIDI bit if it helps?
PM me.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby The Elf » Sun May 17, 2020 8:19 pm

I've never used Artist, so I don't know what restrictions it has, but surely you can drag the bar markers to align to the audio clicks? If not, then I'm glad I have Cubase Pro! And maybe I can help.

Can Artist load Cubase Pro Projects?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Logarhythm » Mon May 18, 2020 6:09 am

The Elf wrote:Can Artist load Cubase Pro Projects?
Yes, at least on PC anyway - Elements and IIRC even the freebie AI versions seem to open them fine, but will disable any unsupported content/features and give a warning about it when they are opened.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby MadManDan » Thu May 21, 2020 9:07 am

The Elf wrote:....Surely you can drag the bar markers to align to the audio clicks? If not, then .. maybe I can help. Can Artist load Cubase Pro Projects?

Thanks. Kwackman ended up doing the map for me, excellent. It had so many tempo changes that dragging bar markers would have been a p.i.t.a. Yes, happy to report that his Cubase Pro file loaded, without even any indicators of "not being artist"

It just sucks, I don't need anything exclusive to Pro BUT the tempo mapping :headbang:

I love that kind of stuff....I was the big time Roland SBX-80 http://www.wikizic.org/1-002-002435-Roland-SBX80.jpg geek in the 80s and 90s. You can make a tempo map outta ANYTHING with that! Convinced my boss why he needed one. Later, would be working in Manhattan, and on several occasions got called out my room to help someone program their SBX80.

So to NOT be able to tempo map..... :protest: :madas:
MadManDan
Frequent Poster

Late '14 mini 3 GHz i7 16 GB
Hi Sier 10.13.3. Glyph atomic. FF Scarlet 18i8. 
Sup Drum 3. Pro Tools 2019.6.0.  Cubase 10.5 Artist
iCon iKb 8x.  Mics, spkrs, 'phones, gtrs, greedy cat

Re: Workaround for Cubase tempo map?

Postby AndyN » Tue May 26, 2020 6:24 pm

You used to be able to do this back in the days of Cubase Artist 4 (Think they called it Cubase Studio 4 then). Then they removed it. Obviously a feature that Steinberg thought people would pay a premium for.
AndyN
Regular

Postby Kwackman » Tue May 26, 2020 7:31 pm

AndyN wrote:You used to be able to do this back in the days of Cubase Artist 4 (Think they called it Cubase Studio 4 then). Then they removed it. Obviously a feature that Steinberg thought people would pay a premium for.
I'm probably wrong, but I didn't think Cubase 4 could make a tempo map/track from an audio event?
I think it was Cubase 7 that introduced tempo detection from audio?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby AndyN » Tue May 26, 2020 11:41 pm

Ah yes, sorry, I didn't read the first post properly. :headbang: It was the timewarp tool that went. I remember teaching A level at that time and students had to transcribe a commercial track. If the track hadn't been recorded to a click, you used the timewarp tool (manually) to create a tempo map. We upgraded from 4 to 7 and the functionality had disappeared. Then everyone had to fight for the one machine that had the full version of Cubase. Luckily, as has been said, once you have the tempo track you can import it into artist and it will work.
AndyN
Regular

Postby rACed2 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:52 am

Just a thought for the next time this happens could Reaper provide the solution? Given its cost it might be worth trying.
rACed2
Regular
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.