You are here

Can I prevent the 2019 MBP from auto turn on?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Can I prevent the 2019 MBP from auto turn on?

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun May 17, 2020 10:43 am

The MBP is connected up in my studio, but I rarely use it. However when I power up the studio, it switches itself on, it's external screen lights up, and the MBP fires up in clamshell mode. I then have to open it and power it off. I'd disconnect the PSU except I'd have to either fish around the back of the racks or pull the cable out of the thing itself. loose cables get broken in my experience, so I'm looking for a way to disable the auto power on "feature"

Anyone know how please? much obliged.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Can I prevent the 2019 MBP from auto turn on?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun May 17, 2020 10:55 am

The below is assuming it's not one of the options in the power management section of preferences these days. I know a lot of people have expressed frustration with the 'feature'.

A popular method of disabling auto-boot when the power is turned on or the lid opened is to run this in a terminal window:

sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00

I've not tested it myself as I don't have a Mac recent enough to be affected, but it makes sense to me.
Eddy Deegan
Jedi Poster
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun May 17, 2020 2:46 pm

Doesn't appear to be a power management section. Help gives nothing about auto boot, or autoboot , If I don't notice the screen, I notice the heat, so I will pluck up the nerve to try the terminal thing, thanks.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun May 17, 2020 2:56 pm

just tried. Failed on Password. My login password isn't recognized. I can't imagine what other password would be required.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sun May 17, 2020 3:02 pm

I've had a few MBP's over the years. None have behaved like this. I can't imagine why someone would want this feature, but it's certainly never been configured as standard for me, ever. I'm not even sure I know how to make this happen!

But then you do have a knack for strange Mac behaviour..! :shock: :tongue:

Have you googled around, already?

Howdy Doody Time wrote:just tried. Failed on Password. My login password isn't recognized. I can't imagine what other password would be required.

For sudo, that's your admin/root password. If you are not running your account as admin, then it will be the admin password of the system, rather than your current user password.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun May 17, 2020 3:31 pm

desmond wrote:I've had a few MBP's over the years. None have behaved like this. I can't imagine why someone would want this feature, but it's certainly never been configured as standard for me, ever.

I'm afraid this is one of those situations where Apple think they know better than you and have decided that you do want it, you just don't know you do. They have also helpfully implemented it in a manner you can't control easily, to save you the hassle of having to make a decision through something as un-hip as a preference.

Around in one form or another since 2016 I believe. It started with opening the lid, and now pressing any key or applying power seem to be equally valid reasons to boot up, along with a removal of the boot chime (draw your own conclusions).

If not already in a Mac you own then it'll probably be included in the next Mac you buy unless it's a second-hand one and few years old. Maybe they'll have had a change of heart by then as quite a few people don't like it as far as I can tell based on my cursory shufties.
Eddy Deegan
Jedi Poster
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby desmond » Sun May 17, 2020 3:49 pm

Thanks Eddy - strange, I've not heard one mention of this feature in all of the Mac-related media I consume, so I was unaware of it completely.

It would annoy me too. :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby wireman » Sun May 17, 2020 3:56 pm

wireman
Regular

Postby wireman » Sun May 17, 2020 3:58 pm

Power up (or exit sleep) from (USB) keyboard input is really useful if you use an MBP closed with external keyboard/mouse/monitor as I do. For my vintage of MBP that only works with external power.
wireman
Regular

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun May 17, 2020 11:06 pm

"Start up automatically after a power failure" in the energy saver option looks promising if it is there in my version, I'll check it this morning. Thanks for that.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby wireman » Sun May 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:

"Start up automatically after a power failure" in the energy saver option looks promising if it is there in my version, I'll check it this morning. Thanks for that.

I'm not expecting it to be relevant for macbooks with batteries but you never know so worth a shot.
wireman
Regular

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon May 18, 2020 3:55 am

wireman wrote:
Howdy Doody Time wrote:

I'm not expecting it to be relevant for macbooks with batteries but you never know so worth a shot.

There was no option for that in the (reduced) energy saver menu, so as soon as power is supplied - it boots up. The sudo thing might work but the password thing is a mystery to me. I have an Apple ID password for the app store etc. and a login password. I am the sole user, so I can't think of who would have an admin password. however these aren't recognised by sudo. I don't want to lock myself out or anything so I'll leave that alone. I guess I have to live with signing in and powering down every day before I start in the studio. Or I could rig up a local power switch and put it next to the MBP, or an extension single outlet. Desmond is right, I seem to attract odd behaviour from my Macs. (The little gold one is a peach though, and must be the closest thing to the hitch hikers guide ever :)
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Mon May 18, 2020 8:43 am

When you install stuff, and you are prompted for a password to let you do it, what password do you use? That’s the password you should use for sudo.

Just type it and press return - you won’t see the characters as you type.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon May 18, 2020 11:14 am

desmond wrote:When you install stuff, and you are prompted for a password to let you do it, what password do you use? That’s the password you should use for sudo.

Just type it and press return - you won’t see the characters as you type.

I think I know what's wrong. My password has a character in it. One of my keyboards mis-places that character on a different key. I never use that character except to sign in, and I may have subconsciously typed the replacement character when asked by sudo - because I had to think about it.

I will try again. (the character is @ which appears as " on one of my keyboards)

Duhh..
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon May 18, 2020 11:29 am

Password accepted - I'm such a klutz! :headbang:

AND IT WORKS!!!!! - No Auto Boot!! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Big thank you to everyone especially Eddy and Desmond

:clap:
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Next