You are here

cubase not fully panning

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: cubase not fully panning

Postby Kwackman » Thu May 21, 2020 9:45 pm

Dan,
I've had a quick look, obviously I'm using a different interface but the main stereo routing should still be OK.
Panning seems OK here, I'll try again to be sure.
But what I did find were several channels that were hidden on the mixer using the "visibility" options. 3 of these had the little speaker icon turned on, so they are listening to whatever input is plugged to them.
Try un-hiding all your mixer channels and turn those speaker icons off...
The tracks with the speaker icon turned on are called "orig CD" "cd L" and "cd R"
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby MadManDan » Thu May 21, 2020 9:48 pm

LoveMonkey3833 wrote:Please if you can, load up Pro Tools and see if you can replicate this anomaly!
I have Pro Tools but bought Cubase to switch, as I'm on pt10, but I'm dragging my ass on switching. I just don't wanna do it and take years to learn this new software inside and out! Hell I tired Studio One and couldn't figure out how to just get to the mix window and edit window! I ended up giving up!...hahaha
Anyway I'm very curious if it's a Cubase bug or if it's your Focusright interface possibly, or just some weird setting that you mightve missed. Stuff like that always happens to me, I'll be rushing and I'll forget something and BOOM! Slapping my head like Doh~!
You just never know with this new gear coming out!

:headbang: So with you on all these points.

In December I started a thread about my dissatisfaction with midi in pro tools, and eventually people here were raving so much about cubase that I had to try it.

Maybe it's like this with you, you get comfortable with a routine, like pro tools, and it's hard to switch. But for me the time had come.... the "joy/expense" ratio was just not cutting it anymore.

Beyond only basic midi capabilities, I really didn't like how pro tools had this nickle and dime control. I hadn't the $600 to buy it outright, so ended up spending $30/mo for yearly licence. All that was tolerable, I dealt with sub par midi. But then they gave this whole suite of amazing, usable plug-ins that would soon have me depending on them.

Problem is, if you miss one payment on the yearly sub, you lose these plug ins forever once you resume payment. THAT DID IT FOR ME! I WAS OOOUUUTTTT !!!

Yes, cubase artist costs $300. But the midi is amazing, and there are tons of gorgeous plugins. Much better "joy/expense" ratio

I was packing up all my pro tools audio and midi files for xfer to cubase, and was planning on pulling the plug in April. I hadn't even considered the fact that one cannot just ummm cancel a yearly contract mid-stream :headbang:

Then corona hit. Have to watch the wallet. So I contacted Avid, who said no problem, you're cancelled. So now my only PT is that free one.

Getting back to my tech issue :wave: A.f.a. showing my work, how should I proceed? Give more screen shots?
MadManDan
Frequent Poster

Late '14 mini 3 GHz i7 16 GB
Hi Sier 10.13.3. Glyph atomic. FF Scarlet 18i8. 
Sup Drum 3. Pro Tools 2019.6.0.  Cubase 10.5 Artist
iCon iKb 8x.  Mics, spkrs, 'phones, gtrs, greedy cat

Postby Kwackman » Thu May 21, 2020 9:59 pm

Back again.
Panning OK here. I panned the music track to the left, unplugged the input to the left speaker - nothing leaking out of the right speaker.
Then panned it to the right, unplugged the right speaker and the left was totally silent (and I did plug it in again)
The track "orig CD" is REALLY LOUD. there's 24 dB gain added to the clip, but you've turned the fader on the mixer down to minus 24dB? You've used automation and towards the end the fader moves from -24 dB up to +6dB!! That's incredibly loud! So, there might be a gain structure issue?

EDIT. in my previous post I said you had hidden channels in the mixer. The visibility options are also on the main project window, so you might have hidden them there, then the mixer echo'ed your visibility choices? Anyhow- have a look at your hidden tracks/channels however you did it!

2nd EDIT! If none of the above change your problem I suspect it's not in Cubase, but your interface SW?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby MadManDan » Fri May 22, 2020 2:06 am

Hi all.

I created this file, “beep”, to demonstrate. All that I did was
Created a new session, imported a mono file, “beep mono”
Panned it to the left.
Exported it as a stereo file, “stereo export” and
Exported “split mono export” (left and right)

Check out the exports. Playing the stereo export, I hear a bit of the leakage on the right.

Please let me know how this comes up for y’all

Thanks, MadManDan

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V-pjN ... BN3jFzzrQt

edit: Just recreated this with pro tools "First" Not the rendering part, just the loading the beep and panning it left. Yeah, this is something my focusrite must be doing. I hear it on pro tools too
MadManDan
Frequent Poster

Postby innerchord » Fri May 22, 2020 3:55 am

All silent on the right here, as I think we all expected! :tongue:
Your interface/monitoring chain has an issue somewhere. Did you say you've check all cabling? I don't recall you telling us what you are monitoring on, either. Sorry if I missed that.
innerchord
Regular

Postby The Elf » Fri May 22, 2020 7:26 am

Same here. Absolutely clean silence on the right.

Whatever the problem is, it isn't in the Cubase project.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Kwackman » Fri May 22, 2020 11:31 am

So, it looks like my verbose comments about hidden tracks containing clips with 24dB of gain were all red herrings! I must exercise the "no typing after red wine" rule more strictly!
Hope you get it sorted Dan.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby MadManDan » Fri May 22, 2020 12:47 pm

Kwackman wrote:So, it looks like my verbose comments about hidden tracks containing clips with 24dB of gain were all red herrings! I must exercise the "no typing after red wine" rule more strictly!
Hope you get it sorted Dan.
No problem. The website lost my response to your comment anyway :).

OK I'm right embarrassed. Found the problem. Both of my pairs of headphones. In my defense, I'm going nuts here in quarantine :beamup:
MadManDan
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri May 22, 2020 1:08 pm

These questionable 'make my headphones sound like speakers' processors would have this effect.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby MadManDan » Fri May 22, 2020 1:11 pm

The Elf wrote:These questionable 'make my headphones sound like speakers' processors would have this effect.
Yes, especially the ones with dry signals and no effect sends :bouncy: Yes, I never believed any of that. Also...how has it been years and years before I have noticed this? Oh yeah, I had a life before all this quarantine business
MadManDan
Frequent Poster

Postby Ian Shaw » Fri May 22, 2020 6:08 pm

Phew. Always a relief when the cause is discovered. These things can drive one nuts as if things weren't difficult enough already!
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Previous