You are here

Replacing Old Apple Computer

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Replacing Old Apple Computer

Postby Jathon Delsy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:02 pm

Hello there,
my Apple computer is about twelve years old, so I am starting to think about replacing it, as it will surely not last forever, although currently it seems to be working perfectly. It is a MacPro 1.1 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon with OSX 10.4.11 running Logic 7.2.3. The silver tower houses four hard-drives, for main programs, audio, orchestra samples and other sample libraries.
What would you suggest that I replace this setup with. I am totally happy with this setup, the old versions of the operating system and Logic work perfectly, especially with the many third party effects I have. I would want any new system to be compatible with this so that I could open and work on my old songs with all the old settings and effects intact.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks,
Jathon.
Jathon Delsy
Regular
https://www.youtube.com/user/jathondelsy

Re: Replacing Old Apple Computer

Postby MOF » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:29 pm

If any of your plugins are 32bit then they won’t work with Catalina. Either stay put with what you’ve got, or if forced to change later, then make sure your present system is saved onto a bootable drive to run the new Mac’ from.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:41 pm

I run 2008 Mac Pros (I have two, studio and office, the latter is really just a spare). I'm hoping mine will see me out. If you buy a new Mac (say a Mac Mini) it should be possible to install an older OSX but probably not as far back as the one on your Mac Pro 1.1 which I think maxed out at OSX Lion.

My thought's are firstly, if it ain't broke don't fix it and secondly would a recentish refurbed MBP be worth considering?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BigRedX » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:53 am

If your current system is working fine and has enough speed and power for your needs then leave it as it is.

You can get a refurbished, and fully guaranteed MacPro 1.1 on eBay for just over £250 and they come up all the time so I wouldn't worry about being able to replace it should it fail.

However IME these MacPros are very reliable and resilient. Over the past 12 years I have gone from a MacPro 1.1 to 2.1 to 3.1 and I'm currently running a 5.1 6-core 3.46GHz 64GB RAM and a 3GB graphics card which cost in total just over £1000, but that was spread over the last 3 years since the new Mac was able to use the graphics card, and SSD drives out of the previous one. I still have the 2.1 and 3.1 running as a server and a spare should anything go wrong, and the 1.1 has been passed on to a friend who uses it for their work and that particular Mac has been running almost constantly since I bought it in 2007/8 without any problems.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Jathon Delsy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:21 pm

BigRedX wrote:If your current system is working fine and has enough speed and power for your needs then leave it as it is.

You can get a refurbished, and fully guaranteed MacPro 1.1 on eBay for just over £250 and they come up all the time so I wouldn't worry about being able to replace it should it fail.

However IME these MacPros are very reliable and resilient. Over the past 12 years I have gone from a MacPro 1.1 to 2.1 to 3.1 and I'm currently running a 5.1 6-core 3.46GHz 64GB RAM and a 3GB graphics card which cost in total just over £1000, but that was spread over the last 3 years since the new Mac was able to use the graphics card, and SSD drives out of the previous one. I still have the 2.1 and 3.1 running as a server and a spare should anything go wrong, and the 1.1 has been passed on to a friend who uses it for their work and that particular Mac has been running almost constantly since I bought it in 2007/8 without any problems.
Thanks for the very pertinent and reassuring advice BigRedX
Jathon Delsy
Regular
https://www.youtube.com/user/jathondelsy