You are here

How much RAM do I really need in a Mac for music production?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: How much RAM do I really need in a Mac for music production?

Postby desmond » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:09 pm

Yep - I can't disagree with anything Ali said above*. :thumbup:

Edit: (* Er, on the previous page...)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:46 pm

Your best weapon in this battle is probably understanding how much resources you're using at the moment (CPU/RAM/Disk).

That's where I'm struggling as my RAM usage seems very low despite having 16gb to draw on. But my cpu is destroyed instantly! But thanks for your long and helpful post. Cheers
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby MOF » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:08 pm

If you're not using massive sample libraries or virtual instruments based on huge sample sets then your memory needs are much less.
As I understand it the first few milliseconds of each sample based instrument are loaded into RAM then when they are needed the rest of the sample is loaded from disk, so SSDs are a good idea in this regard.
In response to the OP I use Logic on a 2018 iMac with a factory i7 chip upgrade and 32GB RAM and it works very well with a mixture of virtual and sampler instruments and audio tracks.
Samples are stored on a USB 3 hard drive. I’ve recently bought a 2TB SSD drive to replace it, principally for storing 4k video files but also with a view to migrating the sample library over to it.
If the computer has been in sleep mode and I start Logic, it starts, then stops after a bar or two and I hear the drive whirring up to speed, which bears out the buffer comment above.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Previous