You are here

Note quiet, then hangs, Logic Pro X

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Note quiet, then hangs, Logic Pro X

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:45 pm

Comrades,

I have a Nektar Panorama T6 keyboard, and Logic Pro X 10.5.5 running on Catalina 10.15.5.

Suddenly, a couple of days ago, the note D4 didn't work, and when I hit it again it worked, but stuck and kept going. This was in the new Sampler plugin. I tried switching instrument to the stock Vintage B3, and the issue persisted. I had to turn off the instrument to stop it going.

Then I tried to shift the keyboard one octave, and the problem moved an octave, so it wasn't the physical key.

I rebooted my iMac and started a new project. The problem was still there.

I quit Logic Pro X and started GarageBand, and had NO problems i GB.

Tried Musical typing (⌘K), and it had no problems in Logic Pro X.

The last change I remember doing on my system was installing some free instruments from Spitfire Labs.

Has anyone seen the problem? Has anyone been able to sort it?

Humbly Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Re: Note quiet, then hangs, Logic Pro X

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:55 pm

Ylan Sthlm wrote:I have a Nektar Panorama T6 keyboard, and Logic Pro X 10.5.5 running on Catalina 10.15.5.

I'm fairly sure you don't, as LPX 10.5.5 does not exist. Let's assume you mean 10.5.0... ;)

Ylan Sthlm wrote:Suddenly, a couple of days ago, the note D4 didn't work, and when I hit it again it worked, but stuck and kept going. This was in the new Sampler plugin. I tried switching instrument to the stock Vintage B3, and the issue persisted. I had to turn off the instrument to stop it going.

Ylan Sthlm wrote:Has anyone seen the problem? Has anyone been able to sort it?

Yes, this happens all the time, and we probably get two or three posts about this in LPH every week. (For years now...)

Choose Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Bypass All Control Surfaces and you should see the behaviour go away.

It happens when you accidentally hit command-L to enter MIDI learn mode, then play a key on your keyboard - Logic learns that note on or off to whatever last parameter was selected, and thus prevents that MIDI event reaching the sequencer. Hence you get a note that either doesn't work, or hangs, as the note on or off is stolen.

To fix it properly, go into your controller assignments, find the learned assignment to that note, and delete it.

if you're not sure how to do that, you can trash your CS preference file to reset to the default settings.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Note quiet, then hangs, Logic Pro X

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:06 pm

desmond wrote:
Ylan Sthlm wrote:I have a Nektar Panorama T6 keyboard, and Logic Pro X 10.5.5 running on Catalina 10.15.5.

I'm fairly sure you don't, as LPX 10.5.5 does not exist. Let's assume you mean 10.5.0... ;)

Ylan Sthlm wrote:Suddenly, a couple of days ago, the note D4 didn't work, and when I hit it again it worked, but stuck and kept going. This was in the new Sampler plugin. I tried switching instrument to the stock Vintage B3, and the issue persisted. I had to turn off the instrument to stop it going.

Ylan Sthlm wrote:Has anyone seen the problem? Has anyone been able to sort it?

Yes, this happens all the time, and we probably get two or three posts about this in LPH every week. (For years now...)

Choose Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Bypass All Control Surfaces and you should see the behaviour go away.

It happens when you accidentally hit command-L to enter MIDI learn mode, then play a key on your keyboard - Logic learns that note on or off to whatever last parameter was selected, and thus prevents that MIDI event reaching the sequencer. Hence you get a note that either doesn't work, or hangs, as the note on or off is stolen.

To fix it properly, go into your controller assignments, find the learned assignment to that note, and delete it.

if you're not sure how to do that, you can trash your CS preference file to reset to the default settings.

Cheers Desmond!

You're a light in the dark!

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster