You are here

Kontakt 6 Alternatives

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Kontakt 6 Alternatives

Postby mpisani » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:54 pm

I have an older Mac and Kontakt 4. I've since upgraded my OS to the highest level my Mac can handle which is 10.11. That OS is too high for Kontakt 4 and Kontakt 6 (the latest) needs 10.12 which my Mac can't go to.

What alternatives bundles are there for Kontakt 6 where it would have pianos, organs, brass and strings? Or - is there a place to buy Kontakt 5?

Thanks,
Matt
mpisani
New here

Re: Kontakt 6 Alternatives

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:03 pm

Welcome to the SOS forums :thumbup:

New Products & Industry News is a forum for manufacturers and developers to place news stories. So I have moved your post to the Mac Music forum as you are looking for Mac software.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby mpisani » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:04 pm

Thanks
mpisani
New here

Postby desmond » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:05 pm

Might be worth asking NI if you can still buy K5..?

Edit: Hmm, ok, never mind, the answer is no:
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... t-5-en-us-
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Agharta » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:18 pm

Plenty of places to buy second hand software.
If you have trouble finding K5 then keep in mind that Komplete 11 and some older versions will include it.
There used to be crossgrades from Kontakt to Komplete or maybe they are called upgrades! Those will be cheaper.
Someone posted a list of the software in each version of Komplete on the web which helps.
eBay is a good place to start plus Kvr forums.
Happy hunting.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:11 pm

Komplete 8 - 11 include Kontakt 5 according to this link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

You might get lucky and find someone selling just the Kontakt 5 upgrade from someone who upgraded from 4 or earlier to Kontakt 6.
NI allow you to do that.

Regarding Komplete, you can purchase an Upgrade to 11 but before K11 it was called a crossgrade which was cheaper.
There's usually a sticker on the box which gives compatibility.

NI are having one of their regular half price sales on Updates/Upgrades, so if you want to in the future you can get a cheap update to 12 or later and still keep Kontakt 5.
I Upgraded from K12 to K12U and have both versions of Kontakt installed.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:09 am

Have you tried to run it? Kontakt 4 is still working on my High Sierra 10.13.6 Mac. I keep a copy for the odd time I want to import an Akai CD. Caveat, I only use the standalone version so I don't know if the plugin version would still work. My guess is it would.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby mpisani » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Tommy - the libraries seem to load but when I click on the install icon a message comes up that I need to have 10.5 or greater. When I ran into this before, I questioned NI saying I had 10.8 or something like that. They said it runs between 10.5 and 10.7 which I think is ridiculous.

I purchased Kontakt 4 EDU. I guess the educational version was cheaper so I bought it. But it's full Kontakt I think since it has 6 discs with it.

UPDATE - I just checked NI's site and my Kontakt 4 EDU is only good up to 10.7. I wish I could find Kontakt 5 for sale.
mpisani
New here

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:50 pm

mpisani wrote:I purchased Kontakt 4 EDU. I guess the educational version was cheaper so I bought it. But it's full Kontakt I think since it has 6 discs with it.
Me too. Crossgraded to Komplete in 2012. Am actually running Kontakt 4 right now in High Sierra, but it looks like your issue is that the INSTALLER won't run? You could install it under an older OS like Snow Leopard, and copy the application across to your newer OS.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby mpisani » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:18 pm

How would I "copy" the application to the new OS? Sorry if that's a dumb question. The only thing I could think of the way you're saying it, is to downgrade to something like 10.5 which will run Kontakt 4 EDU, and then upgrade to El Capitan (10.11) which is all my Mac can handle. Is that what you mean or are you thinking of another process to get Kontakt 4 EDU to run on 10.11?

I appreciate all your help by the way. It gives me a glimmer of hope lol.
mpisani
New here

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:14 pm

Install the older OS on an external drive, boot from that, run Kontakt 4 installer, boot back into later OS, drag and drop Kontakt 4 app from external to later OS, and if you need it drag and drop whatever plugin version of Kontakt 4 you want to use (or all of them) to the corresponding plugin folder in the later OS.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby mpisani » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:38 pm

I tried what Thomas Mulcahy mentioned about Dudal operating systems but got nowhere.

At this point I see I can download a legacy version of Kontakt Player 6.0.4 or even Kontakt Player 5 to run on my OS 10.11. But when I go on Native Instruments' site to look for strings as an example, it's like $200 or something like that!!! Yikes. I don't need the Philharmonic playing in my basement studio, just something a few steps up from a Casio keyboard.

I'm a newbie to Kontakt Player and all this, but are there decent brass, piano, organ and strings sounds out there that are free or at least something I wouldn't have to mortgage the house to get? If so, where are they?

Thanks,
Matt
mpisani
New here

Postby desmond » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:46 pm

mpisani wrote:I'm a newbie to Kontakt Player and all this, but are there decent brass, piano, organ and strings sounds out there that are free or at least something I wouldn't have to mortgage the house to get? If so, where are they?

There seems to be a common misunderstanding that the free Kontakt player will let you use all Kontakt instruments just as the full Kontakt does. This is not what Kontakt Player is for.

To freely use Kontakt instruments you can download (or make yourself), you need to own the full version of Kontakt, I'm afraid.

However, Kontakt Player does come with a small selection of content from NI ("Komplete Start"), I'm fairy sure, so you can get started with that...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby mpisani » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:22 pm

Thanks Desmond. Yeah I wasn't expecting the player to be full Kontakt. I know I'd have to buy the plugins but I was in sticker shock at NI's prices. Spitfire has great piano sounds but I wouldn't need a $300 piano plugin for the occasional recording in the basement.

I was hoping to find some decent third party that don't cost an arm and a leg. Maybe I'm grossly out of touch with how much this all costs.
mpisani
New here

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:48 pm

Have a look at Spitfire Labs stuff (all free) and they're also doing some promotions on the stripped down version of their BBC symphony library. They were giving it out in response to a survey a couple of weeks ago but not sure if that's still running. Worth a trawl of their website.
As to the general cost of sample libraries, I think you generally get what you pay for. The round robin and mic position options now tend to be really extensive, with all manner of articulations. And let's face it, as a professional musician there aren't that many way to make money anymore so you're going to be keen to charge properly for the work you do. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Next