You are here

Apple moving Macs to ARM

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Apple moving Macs to ARM

Postby G-Doubleyou » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:41 am

I picked up a 3.2 GHz 6-core Mini last year, that will hold me for a while, may be my last Mac.

:thumbup:
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster
G-Dub Studio G-fx 2011 15inch 2.0GHz quad-core i7 Macbook Pro, LPX 10.3.2
2.3 GHz quad-core i7 Mini

Postby CS70 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:36 am

wireman wrote:If you are the one working with that C code which you hope will insulate you from the hardware just be aware that you may be tripped up by unigned chars if you had assumed they were signed.

Well, if you work with a circular saw you must be aware of where you put your fingers :-)

Many compilers warn, btw.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:26 pm

desmond wrote:Transition time?
I'll grab me some popcorn and take a drink whenever anyone posts:

- I've upgraded my Mac, and now my software doesn't work!
- I've upgraded my Mac, and now my hardware doesn't work!
- I've upgraded my Mac, and now I have to buy upgrades for my software or it doesn't work!
- I've upgraded my Mac, and I used to run Windows in a VM for work, but this doesn't work!
- I've upgraded my Mac, but my software seems very slow now!
- Why didn't someone tell me not to upgrade my Mac before I upgraded my Mac? No, I shouldn't have to take responsibility to make educated and informed decisions about tools I depend my livelihood on!!

This should all be in a larger font - maybe even on a T-shirt!
That being said there is a YouTube posted showing the installation and running of the latest OS and latest Logic on my 10 year old tower. As I have a clone of my boot drive I am tempted. But then again maybe that person didn’t post all that no longer works on his machine because it would be a 5 hour video to watch. (Ironical font on) Hmmm tough call, scour the internet researching issues or just a few mouse clicks and I’m there..... but is there heaven or HELL?
:smirk:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:33 am

I saw mention of this today on the BBC website:

Leo Kelion (writing for the BBC) wrote:Apple said it had already developed native versions of several of its own apps, including Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro. iPhone and iPad apps will also be able to be run on the computers.

Apple said that Microsoft was working on an optimised version of Office, and Adobe was developing a version of Photoshop.

Other developers should be able to recompile their apps to get a version running "in just a matter of days," said the company's software chief Craig Federighi. He added that old apps would automatically be translated at point of installation to run, although they would not work as well.

To mark the significance of the move, MacOS will move to version 11. Since 2001, it had only moved from 10.0 to 10.15.

More info here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53142989
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Dave B » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:51 am

And so let the fun and games commence. Once more we'll be into 'universal binary' territory so our download file sizes will double for a while. Plugin makers will have to invest in new machines and look into ways of optimising code on two different architectures. I reckon that support for things like firewire will be quietly dropped altogether (which is a shame).

But, tbh, even if I got a new machine now, it would be years before it affected me. And by the time it does, I suspect that all the furore will have died down.

Interestingly, I think that this affects 'non Mac' elements really - no longer can we run Windows or Linux without special builds. The latter will probably be ok and there is a thought that this could prompt Microsoft to port Windows to non-Intel platforms. Given that they are a little more open, that might be a good thing for them. For me, I don't use VMs any more - most of my work is using Docker containers and I'm guessing that there will be a build for that.

So, all in all, I'm pretty ambivalent. I'll just be interested to see if Apple genuinely are able to lower the price in the long term. Erm .. hmm ... Apple ... lower prices ... hmmm ...

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby CS70 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:51 am

Dave B wrote:So, all in all, I'm pretty ambivalent. I'll just be interested to see if Apple genuinely are able to lower the price in the long term. Erm .. hmm ... Apple ... lower prices ... hmmm ...

Lower the price? What lowering the price? Increase the margins, you mean! :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby tea for two » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:44 am

Samplr app on a macbook ooooooh yeeeeah chika chi carrrr.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:40 pm

Or ipad!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous