You are here

Mac Specs without password?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mac Specs without password?

Postby james090 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:36 pm

Is it possible to get a Mac Spec (about This Mac) for example, without logging into the Macbook itself as we don't have the password?

With the Covid-19 situation, I have around 3 Macbook Pro's collected from my Work as the Office is closed, but they have passwords on, and need to be reformatted (they are old), but wondered before doing this if I could see the specs of each machine?

Then I'd know if its worth taking the time of re-formatting certain machines?

Just a general spec of the GHZ processor, RAM, and HD space?

Is there a way without logging in on the Password screen?

Thank you
james090
Regular

Re: Mac Specs without password?

Postby fatbenelton » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:58 pm

Serial number may give you the standard, factory spec? it won't know RAM etc but processor/speed should be as built.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:59 pm

If you look on the underside of the Macbook you will likely find some very small print. This should include a model number, that for our Macbook Air, for instance is A1465. Then google Macbook and the model number and you should get to one of a number of sites that list the specs for all the different Mac models. This won't tell you precisely what you've got because of the variations within each model, but it should give you a good start.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby Kwackman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:34 pm

If you boot the mac up in recovery mode, you might be able to access "about this mac".
You should be be able to restore OS in recovery mode too.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby james090 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Ok thank you.

It does seem as though these Macbook Pro's are A1286 but there seems a few with that serial with different specs
james090
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:10 pm

I go here for that information https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/ You will get more detail if you search using the 12 character serial number on the bottom.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:48 pm

Thanks Sam but as these are old I think the serial has rubbed off
Pitchfork
Frequent Poster

Postby wireman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:00 pm

james090 wrote:Ok thank you.

It does seem as though these Macbook Pro's are A1286 but there seems a few with that serial with different specs

I have one of those. You really would want to replace the disk with an SSD if you want a reasonable response time. I would imagine the batteries would need replacing as well.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:31 pm

Pitchfork wrote:Thanks Sam but as these are old I think the serial has rubbed off

I'd take the bottom off then, not sure if it's visible on the mainboard but worth a look.

This may help reset the PW's in recovery mode https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/forgotten-mac-password-3594395/#toc-3594395-3
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby cyrano.mac » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:04 am

Pitchfork wrote:Thanks Sam but as these are old I think the serial has rubbed off

The A1286 is the family number. I would be surprised if the long serial was wiped off, but it happens. It's kind of hidden in the screen hinge.
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:02 pm

The A1286 is a Unibody Macbook Pro, according to 'Everymac' the serial should be on the bottom panel under the regulatory information. My MBPs are newer than the OP's but on mine the Serial #s are on the bottom. If the Macbook has a removable battery the serial should be in the battery compartment but AFAIK (I could be wrong :blush: ) no Unibody MBs have removable batteries.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby wireman » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:16 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The A1286 is a Unibody Macbook Pro, according to 'Everymac' the serial should be on the bottom panel under the regulatory information. My MBPs are newer than the OP's but on mine the Serial #s are on the bottom. If the Macbook has a removable battery the serial should be in the battery compartment but AFAIK (I could be wrong :blush: ) no Unibody MBs have removable batteries.

The serial number is on the bottom of mine, you would need pretty good eyesight to read it though.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:26 pm

Or a magnifying glass ;) But it's pretty obvious it there though.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby james090 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:38 pm

Ok thanks for the help here

We have found that in the tiny writing the MacBook Pro serial is
W800695e7xj

If that makes sense?

Not looked it up myself yet but any thoughts here would be good on what model or spec or indeed upgrades I can do to this for secondary audio machine or maybe even as a boot camp machine with Windows?
james090
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:14 pm

20 seconds to look it up reveals it to be a mid 2009 15" Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz MBP.

Sounds very usable to me so if you decide not to go ahead you're welcome to send them to me (I'll be happy to cover carriage ;) )

BTW RAM is easy to check, just take the bottom off and have a look. Bear in mind the screws are not all the same (some are different length which is pretty obvious, and some of the short ones have flanges) so take note of which go where.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.53-aluminum-15-mid-2009-sd-unibody-specs.html
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Next