You are here

Officially switching to Mac! What won't work?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Officially switching to Mac! What won't work?

Postby garrettendi » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:02 pm

I'm officially switching to the world of Mac next week. I use MDrummer as my go-to drum sample software and all I can find is "improved compatibility with Catalina" in the change logs.

Is there anyone that can confirm Melda's plugins, particularly MDrummer, work in Catalina?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Officially switching to Mac! Do Melda plugins work?

Postby garrettendi » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:20 pm

Also, should my Behringer UMC204HD interface work off the bat?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

All change here please.

Postby Agharta » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:46 pm

Apple announced today that they are switching from Intel to ARM chips starting this year and it will take about 2 years to complete the transition at the hardware level.
Interesting times.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Re: Officially switching to Mac! What won't work?

Postby zenguitar » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:57 pm

Your Behringer UMC204HD will work on Mac with no additional drivers required because it's class compliant. The user guide confirms this for you.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
The more I understand Music, the less good I get at it.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:10 am

Class compliance for audio interfaces is one of the reasons for buying Mac. It's something Microsoft have never got the hang of.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby Lizardpoint » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:28 am

My biggest disappointment moving from PC to Mac was the loss of Soundforge. (Initially Sonic Foundry, then Sony and now Magix)
I loved Soundforge on the PC and still use it, hoever every crossgrade and upgrade I have paid for in Soundforge Mac has been an utter crock. It is unstable to the point where it is just too annoying to use. I will not be throwing anymore money at future updates.

Having said that, the switch to Mac was undoubtedly the best thing I've ever done and if it were'nt for Coreldraw and Visio, I wouldn't need to run any PC's in my setup at all.

Enjoy your Mac !!!

Lizardpoint
Lizardpoint
Regular

Postby garrettendi » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:35 am

zenguitar wrote:Your Behringer UMC204HD will work on Mac with no additional drivers required because it's class compliant. The user guide confirms this for you.

Andy :beamup:

Thanks Andy. I did know that from the manual but I have heard anecdotal accounts of MacOS Catalina breaking compatibility which is what I feared.

No response from Melda yet about MDrummer on Catalina although the change logs state "improved compatibility with Catalina".

Would you say that confirms it should work? I've had non-stop anxiety all day yesterday over this. One minute I'm crazy excited and the next I'm fretting over it!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:06 pm

I switched to Macs a fair few years ago and have never regretted it. Apple are far from perfect but I have spent much less time fixing computers since I changed.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MOF » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:51 pm

My biggest disappointment moving from PC to Mac was the loss of Soundforge. (Initially Sonic Foundry, then Sony and now Magix)
I loved Soundforge on the PC and still use it, hoever every crossgrade and upgrade I have paid for in Soundforge Mac has been an utter crock. It is unstable to the point where it is just too annoying to use. I will not be throwing anymore money at future updates.
Since you own PC OS have you thought about dual booting or emulation such as Parallels for running Soundforge?
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:22 pm

Actually the thing I missed most when I first won't over to Macs was Wavelab. I quite quickly discovered that, for my needs at least, Reaper is a brilliant stereo editor. Now I've discovered it will do video too my cup runneth over*.

* Bear in mind my video editing needs are very simple, basically just chop it to length and sync the music/dialogue.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby TeeJay2112 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:38 pm

garrettendi wrote:I'm officially switching to the world of Mac next week. I use MDrummer as my go-to drum sample software and all I can find is "improved compatibility with Catalina" in the change logs.

Is there anyone that can confirm Melda's plugins, particularly MDrummer, work in Catalina?

can't say for m drummer, but other Melda plugins definitely work in Catalina. I demoed them for the harmony one, before deciding to get Antares harmony engine

cheers
TeeJay2112

Postby miN2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:57 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I switched to Macs a fair few years ago and have never regretted it. Apple are far from perfect but I have spent much less time fixing computers since I changed.

Do you think that might be because you lost the ability to fiddle? ;)
miN2
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:58 pm

I've never been able to fiddle though I play half decent mandolin :bouncy: :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:58 pm

After Apple's announcement that its moving to ARM (sorry, Apple Silicon) you may want to reconsider jumping in right now...
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:57 pm

The biggest thing that won't work is all your ingrained habits as you keep looking for a right-click button! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Next