You are here

Officially switching to Mac! What won't work?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Officially switching to Mac! What won't work?

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:40 pm

garrettendi wrote:My wife’s ancient MacBook from 2015 is on Deaths Door

:protest: Keep your voice down, my newest Mac is my 2012 MBP, I'm typing on it now and if it hears you say things like that it might go on strike :mrgreen:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ore_terra » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:46 pm

2015 wasnt a bad year for macbooks... if you're going to bin it, mail it to me first! :lol:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby BigRedX » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:28 am

garrettendi wrote:
Kwackman wrote:Which Mac did you get?

My wife’s ancient MacBook from 2015 is on Deaths Door so we decided to get our first family Mac and also decided we might as well go big...

We got the 21.5 inch iMac 4K upgraded to 32gb RAM. On top of a quad core 3ghz CPU a 2gb Radeon 555X this should see us through the next few years with no need to to upgrade.

I hope...

:headbang:

Unless there is a design or manufacturing fault, modern Macs generally tend to outlast the software you run on them - i.e. you only need to replace them because the highest OS they are capable of running no longer supports the software you need to use.

My current Mac is a MacPro 5,1 from 2010. It replaced my previous MacPro 3,1 only because I have to run the latest versions of Adobe Creative Cloud for my work. I still have a MacPro 1,2 as my iTunes and file server. That has been running non-stop since 2010.

And my laptop is a 2012 MacBook Pro which is mainly used for running one of my band's live backing tracks and occasionally used to allow me to do some work when I'm not able to get to my main Mac. IME if they are looked after they tend to run forever.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Previous