You are here

Mainstage solo/mute button behaviour in live performance

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mainstage solo/mute button behaviour in live performance

Postby Reuben Anstey » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi,

When setting up a layered mainstage patch with several channel strips assigned different voices (in this case esx24 sampler ), I want to be able to hold down a chord and bring them in and out using solo or mute buttons, with the sound re triggering from the beginning of the sample, not half way through its loop! Is this possible?

There's probably a name for this behaviour rather than my clumsy explanation, so apologies.

Many thanks for your time!

Reuben
Reuben Anstey
Poster

Re: Mainstage solo/mute button behaviour in live performance

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:57 pm

Reuben Anstey wrote:When setting up a layered mainstage patch with several channel strips assigned different voices (in this case esx24 sampler ), I want to be able to hold down a chord and bring them in and out using solo or mute buttons, with the sound re triggering from the beginning of the sample, not half way through its loop! Is this possible?

No, audio channel muting is not linked in any way to sample/note retriggering.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Reuben Anstey » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:52 pm

Thanks for speedy reply....is there a better way to set MainStage up to enable this behaviour with layered patches?

Cheers
Reuben Anstey
Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:17 pm

I don't really understand what you are trying to do. If you want to press a button to trigger samples, then yes there are many ways of setting this up. Perhaps you could be more explicit in explaining what you want?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Reuben Anstey » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:44 pm

I'm trying to replicate the manipulation of the stops on a church organ.

Each channel strip has an instance of the esx24 on it, incorporating an organ stop multisampled.

I've got 6 stops sampled, therefore 6 channel strips with which to switch the stops in or out (on or off)

I thought that using the mute or solo functions would be the best way of doing this, but to replicate the behaviour of an organ, you need to be able to hold down a chord or notes and as you bring more stops on, each additional added one needs to start at the beginning to hear the initial attack transient of the pipe speech rather than hearing each one come on somewhere in the middle of its loop.

Hopefully this helps....the few previous posts I have made over the years I felt when re reading tended to be TL/DR....hence me trying to be succinct!

Thanks
Reuben Anstey
Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:30 pm

No, you're not really going to be able to do that with the EXS24. You'd need something like Kontakt, and to custom script/code it yourself for those kinds of behaviours.

They best thing you can do is have layers, and change their volume as you manipulate the controls (whether you do this in one instance of EXS, or multiple ones, doesn't really matter) - but they'd have to be playing all the time, and they wouldn't retrigger on a volume change - that's too bespoke a custom behaviour to do in something like the EXS24.

For custom behaviour and pseudo-intelligence in your sampled instruments, you really need to go to Kontakt.

(Note, I'm not saying it *couldn't* be done, but would be, uh, non-trivial. I can't remember if Mainstage has Logic's MIDI Scripter MIDI plugin, but if so, you could *probably* do it with that - keep a track of held notes, and when you change your various stop controllers, react on that and trigger new notes from the held ones.)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Reuben Anstey » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:30 pm

Thank you for your reply and time on this Desmond.

I've been researching various things to come up with an answer, when I googled 'live mute mode', it would be apparent that the Korg Kronos has this function in Combi mode, which as I think your describing, stops the midi input to the timbre when you mute it so that it will re trigger from the beginning when you un mute it, "...this saves polyphony, and is well-suited to muting and unmuting layered sounds as you play...." so says their blurb. Bingo!

What a strange thing for Korg to incorporate, as their sampler in all other ways appears to be very basic in comparison to the albeit quite old esx24, not to mention the possibilities in performing with the huge complexities of the MainStage platform!

I shall look at Kontakt then!

Cheers
Reuben Anstey
Poster