You are here

Logic Pro X ans external synths

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Pro X ans external synths

Postby DanielBeach » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi,

I’ve got an external synth module (X5DR) arriving tomorrow. I’ll be controlling it in my recording setup from a Yamaha synth, but with the midi going via Logic Pro and then out again, and then the resultant audio going back in to Logic.

Does anybody have experience of the kind of latency times on this? Am hoping it’ll be the same roughly as playing internal VSTs?

Daniel
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------
Logic Pro X 10.5, Yamaha MODX8 keys, NI Komplete 12, AmpleSound Guitars, various other software!

Re: Logic Pro X ans external synths

Postby desmond » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:42 pm

Latency is a function of your audio interface's driver and your buffer size settings (and what latency-inducing plugins you have in your audio path), and nothing to do with MIDI as such.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby DanielBeach » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:21 pm

I appreciate that, Desmond - what I was wondering was if people experience any annoying latency in the initial stage of inputting the Midi information to Logic, before any FX etc have been applied.
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------
Logic Pro X 10.5, Yamaha MODX8 keys, NI Komplete 12, AmpleSound Guitars, various other software!

Postby desmond » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:58 pm

DanielBeach wrote:I appreciate that, Desmond - what I was wondering was if people experience any annoying latency in the initial stage of inputting the Midi information to Logic, before any FX etc have been applied.

If you could happily play MIDI synths into an Atari ST in the 80s, then things are also going to be fine now. :thumbup:

As for all latency things when recording audio, audio drivers these days generally go down to better performance than those old MIDI synths had in responding to MIDI events anyway.

By far the biggest problem is when people don't understand what plugin delay compensation is and does.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio