You are here

Midi Pitch to Audio in Logic?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Midi Pitch to Audio in Logic?

Postby sticky 117 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:59 am

I’m running a Zoom recording choir and I’m getting around forty audio files in from singers - all slightly different from each other.

In Logic Pro X I’m using my master audio demo as a groove track, thus aligning the syllables pretty well. It would be MASSIVELY helpful if I could apply the pitches of my midi score tracks to the various SATB vocal lines!

Is there a way to do this via flex pitch? Just get the audio to look at the midi for pitch information?.

Hoping someone can help but Not holding out much hope .

John G
sticky 117
Poster

Re: Midi Pitch to Audio in Logic?

Postby desmond » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:29 am

I don't think so, but I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do.

Are you trying to impose new melodies onto existing singer's vocals?

Or are you just trying to tune them correctly (in which case you can do this easily enough with Flex Pitch in one go...)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby sticky 117 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:52 pm

Thanks Desmond - I was hoping to impose the midi template of my arrangement onto vocal audio tracks. I can do the ‘perfect tuning’ with flex pitch - but some of the singing is resolving into strange new melodies!

I can go through and fix the anomolies but thought it would be good if I could use the midi arrangement as a pitch template.
John
sticky 117
Poster

Postby DanielBeach » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:00 pm

John - out of interest are you slicing up and moving syllables manually, or using flex time or something else etc?

Very interested as I’m doing an almost identical project for a school at the moment!

Thanks,

Daniel
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------
Logic Pro X 10.5, Yamaha MODX8 keys, NI Komplete 12, AmpleSound Guitars, various other software!

Postby sticky 117 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:00 pm

Daniel I recorded myself singing demo tracks for the choir to learn from and I used one of these as a groove track and set the other tracks to follow that rhythm - vocalign on the cheap!
John
sticky 117
Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:25 pm

That is a cool concept - a pitch template. Just like you can create your own Groove template and use it for quantizing your other tracks to.

Off the top of my head if the fixes are simple in a specific scale then Logic’s pitch correction plug lets you turn off specific notes that you don’t want in your scale. I’ve used this with mixed results on simple lines.

I don’t have Autotune or Melodyne so can’t comment on how developed they are for something like you are proposing. Following this thread with interest as there are times when I get tired of tweaking every second or third note individually!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)