You are here

Apple Loops strange privileges error message, how to lose?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Apple Loops strange privileges error message, how to lose?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:14 am

When I open some Apple Loops to audition in Logic Pro X 10.4.8 on Catalina, I get this new error message:

Audio file “12-8 Afro Cuban Conga 04.caf” does not have sufficient access privileges. An overview can not be saved!

This has happened since I moved to a brand new Mac Mini. It doesn't happen on all loops and it doesn't seem to affect my ability to use the loops in any way as far as I can see. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which loops trigger the dialog box.

I found a couple of 'solutions' on the web, including checking the loops folder access permissions and asking Logic to load all assets into the project, but neither have stopped this behaviour. It's very annoying!

Any ideas, anyone? Cheers
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Apple Loops strange privileges error message, how to lose?

Postby desmond » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:28 am

What are the permissions on that file set to?
Are they any different to the permissions on a similar file in the same location, that presumably works?

Since you moved to a new Mac, did you migrate your current user over, or did you create a new user account on the new system?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:59 am

Aha, as ever Desmond you have pointed the way to a solution, brilliant, thanks! The file is in a folder that has different permissions to the main Loops folder. So it had Wheel (WTF???) but no Admin. So I added an Administrators permission for read & write and, touch wood, this seems to have cured it. Strangely, the individual loops don't all have the Admin permissions but they seem to work if the folder has?

For anyone else, the basic solution is here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7687629 but changing permissions in the main, enclosing Apple loops folder is not enough it seems, you have to go to the individual folders. So I just spend a very tedious fifteen minutes going through each folder of loops one by one and adding Admin Read&Write to each one. As I say, fingers crossed. The thought of going through the entire loop library and changing the permissions on every single one is not one I relish!

Re, your second question, I migrated my user account over from the previous mac but I did change passwords? Perhaps this is the reason this behaviour occurred, but then I don't understand why some would change and some wouldn't?

And what is an Overview in any case?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby desmond » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:59 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:changing permissions in the main, enclosing Apple loops folder is not enough it seems, you have to go to the individual folders. So I just spend a very tedious fifteen minutes going through each folder of loops one by one and adding Admin Read&Write to each one.

Do it to the top level folder, but tick "Apply to enclosed" and it will apply the same permissions to everything contained within that folder.

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Re, your second question, I migrated my user account over from the previous mac but I did change passwords? Perhaps this is the reason this behaviour occurred

No, and that wasn't what I was getting to anyway....

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:And what is an Overview in any case?

The waveform display of that audio file (in the old days, this used to be saved to a different file, now it's just written back as meta data to the audio file so it doesn't need to be calculated next time it's opened.)

BTW Wheel is a unix thing, don't worry about it.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:47 pm

Do it to the top level folder, but tick "Apply to enclosed" and it will apply the same permissions to everything contained within that folder

Is it OK then to overwrite all the Wheel permissions etc? I get this warning "Are you sure you want to apply the selected owner, group and permissions to all the enclosed items?". My top folder only has System, Admin and Everyone?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:50 pm

If you want to be able to read/write the files, then yes.

If you're not sure, you can always make a backup copy, apply the operation, verify it works, and then delete the safety copy, which is standard policy when doing any batch-type things on large amounts of files where you're not entirely sure of the behaviour - you're giving yourself an "undo" feature by doing this.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:54 pm

OK ta. Everything seems to be working OK at the mo without doing this so I'll let sleeping files be for the mo. I'm not a huge user of Apple Loops.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:06 pm

:thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:23 pm

desmond wrote:Wheel is a unix thing, don't worry about it.

FWIW it's just an alternative name for the root user, in the sense of The Big Wheel or boss.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:22 am

Yes my curiosity was piqued so I googled it. As you say, it’s the core group of developers.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby merlyn » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:05 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:FWIW it's just an alternative name for the root user ...

Kind of, but not exactly. There's only one root user and that account has its own password. 'wheel' is a group so it can have multiple users as members. Originally 'wheel' allowed users to use the 'sudo' (super user do) command with their own password, so they never had to know the root password. Using 'sudo' is preferable to logging in as root as 'sudo' only allows temporary privilege escalation.
merlyn
Regular