You are here

New to Mac-Logic Pro X

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: New to Mac-Logic Pro X

Postby VOLOVIA » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:25 am

Dave Rowles wrote:Desmond rocks on these sort of things.

On the FlexPitch front, you are right, sometimes altering pitch using it will create audible artefacts or glitches. It's usually when there is a very quick varying of pitch, and the detection system built into logic can't cope, but I've had it before on what I've thought were simple tasks.

Indeed, and my problem is not that having to 'endure' a click or two, but that when you undo the pitch correction, although it returns the original pitch, it does not remove the newly produced click or noise burst! It's there to stay.

It's great that they've built this kind of thing into logic, and it's good for basic projects, or quick easy tasks, but it's not as good as Melodyne. I'm often annoyed that I can see waveform, but Logic hasn't detected a pitch, or gives me any way of altering any part of that signal. If you're looking at doing a lot of pitch correct and want near artefact free, then I highly recommend getting Melodyne. It does the job a hell of a lot better.

I second this too. For instance I was happy to see a formant tool option on each individual pitch, but the sound it produces is not much better than the usual cartoonish versions (Darth Vader vs Mimmie Mouse), it does not 'change gender' or the vocal character.

I suppose it's nice to have Flex (in terms of tuning application) for the occasional adjustment, but for 'proper', release quality applications, maybe it's asking too much...
VOLOVIA
Regular
VOLOVIA - FACEBOOK - TWITTER Songwriter/guitarist

Postby VOLOVIA » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:06 am

Hi Desmond, I thought I owned an update on my Logic Pro X experience. And there is news...

I had taken advantage of the COVID-3-Months trial offer to check it out against my 20+ years of Cubase. Well, despite of the problems I was having I decided to take the plunge and buy the 'App'. I have to say that the automated uninstall and reinstall of the paid version went smoothly, quick and painless, keeping all my original settings. But, BUT much more interesting the problems I had seems to have gone! As you suggested, if I now highlight two sound clips on different track I am asked if I wanted to merge them in mono or stereo, which was what I wanted all along!

Also, remember that I had this huge problem with clipping being generated when Flex (pitch correction) 'read' a vocal (for instance) with raspy voice or breathing, which was non-undoable? Now, so far, it seems to have disappeared. I noticed that the software had a minor update, but it makes me wonder if the trial version is "not all of that"... Still.

To wrap things up, in the previous version, and I am not sure if it is going to happen again in the 'proper' one, the orphan files that I asked about and could not get rid of, where created in this way:

When recording with cycle engaged if the L and R locators overlap an already recorded section, the software automatically creates a new track below. Now, if I stopped the software, erased the part and started again, it's all fine. BUT, if I press undo, the sound file disappears as intended but the 'frame' remains in the track but can be deleted as a second step. However, it appears that from now on the software remembers this part and when loading again it cannot find the wav file it is referring to. Clearly a software glitch, and a rather annoying one to booth. I do hope this is not going to happen again in the new paid version.

Last question as a novice: now that I have paid £200 (Sorry, US-STyle £199.99, i.e., "less than 200 pound!"), and I decide to buy a new computer or it needs clean software reinstalling, where is the software going to be found again? In Cubase you had a dongle and serial numbers. Here the software "just installed" without asking me for passwords, SN, or anything. How does it work?

All the same, thanks again.
VOLOVIA
Regular

Postby dBerriff » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:41 am

Logic Pro X is tied to your Apple ID. You can install it on any Mac computer where you have "logged in" to your ID. Just download and install Logic from the App Store.
dBerriff
Poster

Postby VOLOVIA » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:43 am

dBerriff wrote:Logic Pro X is tied to your Apple ID. You can install it on any Mac computer where you have "logged in" to your ID. Just download and install Logic from the App Store.
Fab, thanks!
VOLOVIA
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:15 am

VOLOVIA wrote:Also, remember that I had this huge problem with clipping being generated when Flex (pitch correction) 'read' a vocal (for instance) with raspy voice or breathing, which was non-undoable? Now, so far, it seems to have disappeared. I noticed that the software had a minor update, but it makes me wonder if the trial version is "not all of that"... Still.

As far as I know, the trial version is no different to the regular version in any way other than the time limitation.

VOLOVIA wrote:To wrap things up, in the previous version, and I am not sure if it is going to happen again in the 'proper' one, the orphan files that I asked about and could not get rid of, where created in this way:

When recording with cycle engaged if the L and R locators overlap an already recorded section, the software automatically creates a new track below. Now, if I stopped the software, erased the part and started again, it's all fine. BUT, if I press undo, the sound file disappears as intended but the 'frame' remains in the track but can be deleted as a second step. However, it appears that from now on the software remembers this part and when loading again it cannot find the wav file it is referring to. Clearly a software glitch, and a rather annoying one to booth. I do hope this is not going to happen again in the new paid version.

Yes, even if you remove regions from an audio file in the main window, the reference to the audio file remains in the project (you can see it in the audio inspector which lists out all the used audio files in the project) unless you actually remove it - this is expected and intentional. As to not finding external audio files referenced in the project, this again comes back to where you are recording to, which we never troubleshooted, but if you follow the procedures I outlined previously, you shouldn't have any problems with Logic not being able to find external assets, as they will always be contained within the project.

VOLOVIA wrote:Last question as a novice: now that I have paid £200 (Sorry, US-STyle £199.99, i.e., "less than 200 pound!"), and I decide to buy a new computer or it needs clean software reinstalling, where is the software going to be found again? In Cubase you had a dongle and serial numbers. Here the software "just installed" without asking me for passwords, SN, or anything. How does it work?

The same as any AppStore app - just redownload it from the AppStore should you need to. :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby VOLOVIA » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks again Desmond. Yes, if you're curious, and if the problem occurs again, I will try to document it and share. But believe me, the paid version feels 'smoother' on my computer and again everything works as expected. Maybe, just maybe, this time it installed 'better' (the previous version towards the end of the trial period started crashing!).

It will remain a mystery I suppose. Thanks again and, as you say to the doctor, I hope not to bother "you" again.

Cheers
VOLOVIA
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:10 am

No worries, glad it's going smoothly so far! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Previous