You are here

Studio setup for Imac 27"

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Studio setup for Imac 27"

Postby Bo Petersen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:55 pm

Hi. Thank's for velcomming me in this forum. However i don't know the first thing about audio/monitors/DAC setup.

My son needs som gear for Logic pro on his Imac 27" late 16. I know this much that a pair of studio monitors

along with a soundcard/DAC would improve the sound. I looked on the https://www.thomann.de/dk/krk_rokit_rp7_g4_bundle.htm along with this :

Audient ID4 or :

https://www.thomann.de/dk/focusrite_sca ... rd_gen.htm. I hope the cables, Balanced of course like these will do: https://www.thomann.de/dk/cordial_cfm_6 ... _kabel.htm.

Feel free to other suggestions. Like the price to be under 650 euros.
Bo Petersen

Re: Studio setup for Imac 27"

Postby CS70 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:38 pm

The first thing your son must understand is that the room is more important than the monitors - since the walls reflections affect whatever sound is generated within it, changing what arrives at your ears, and usually not in a good way (have a look at my post here for the details that normally I would have written in this reply). So even the best monitors won't sound great in a bad room (and the best microphones will just record very well a pretty bad sound).

That said, the Audient is a simple but good interface and won't stop him from making great music in any way. Normally we tend to tell people to get something with more channels that they think they need, but in your case if he's a total beginner, the Audient is fine.

The Rokits are perhaps a bit more "meh" but, so long the room is decent, for starting anything goes... he can then resell them when time comes to upgrade.

House rooms rarely can be made great, but they can be made decent and okay to record and mix in, so make sure he knows that - the room is his most important piece of gear. Broadband absorbers panels (check GIK for example) aren't sexy as a gift but are very useful :)

As for cables, balanced is good but make sure you get the right format - the ID4 and the Rokits seem to have jack outputs and inputs, so the XLR end of the cable you link won't work.. just check images of what you are buying (googling <something> back and looking at images usually helps) so you are sure it's TRS (jacks) or XLR (three-pins connectors) and for XLRs, if you need to know if you need male or female.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Bo Petersen » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:57 am

It’s not recording on a mic but mixing/making music in Logic Pro.
Maybe i’ll get the Focusrite Scarlett 2I2 instead wich have 2 channel
inputs and as for the cables the ones i linked too should fit in the
jacks on the 2I2 right?
Bo Petersen

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:26 pm

Welcome Bo. The room is still very important even if all the sound creation happens 'in the box'. It's possible to do good mixes on headphones (and definitely worth having some reasonable ones to check mixes, particularly the bass) but most people seem to find the job easier on speakers. As CS70 says, as soon as you are putting sound into a room the treatment becomes essential if you want to hear the music with any degree of accuracy.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:27 pm

Bo Petersen wrote:It’s not recording on a mic but mixing/making music in Logic Pro.
Maybe i’ll get the Focusrite Scarlett 2I2 instead wich have 2 channel
inputs and as for the cables the ones i linked too should fit in the
jacks on the 2I2 right?

What Sam said. In a untreated room, the monitors will lie to him, and you can't mix what you can't hear. Sam is also correct about headphones, but it's just slightly harder to make a good mix on headphones (perfectly possible but you need to know what pitfalls to look for and know your headphones very well) so half-decent monitors in a decent sounding room are the best way to start.

As for cables, it's really not much to worry - it's like selecting the right electrical plugs at the end of an extension cord (and the cost is pretty much the same, so even if you go wrong it's no big deal). It's just to look.

Different interfaces will have different formats of I/O (some have both XLR and TRS jacks and other digital connectivity options) so, as I wrote, the easiest thing is to just google "front" or "back" or "rear" for the interface name and you will immediately know which cable to buy.

The back of the Scarlett 2i2 3rd generation (whose picture I found by googling "Scarlett 2i2 back") looks like this

and you can clearly see the outputs are on jacks, so two TRS jack/jack cables are still what you need (as with the Audient).

The 2i2 will just as fine as the Audient.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page