You are here

Hot Mac

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Hot Mac

Postby kinglouis » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:58 am

Hi all,

I have a 2018 15" 2.9Ghz i9 MBP which is very noisy in any kind of heat. I realise we are in some unusual hot times just now but the fans in it tend to start whirring a lot between May-October. I know there are cooling pads I can put it on, but my studio isn't especially warm, and it was not something that ever happened to my 2012 MBP which I ran hard in the studio for 6 years. Plus I don't really want the whirring of either the Mac OR the cooling pad!

I am just sending it back to get the duff butterfly keys replaced, I thought it might be a good opportunity to look at upgrading the MBP if there is a replacement that is less prone to overheating. Having spent a near mortgage on the 2018 version I was pretty miffed that it performed no quicker, and a lot more noisily than the 2012 mode!

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Alex
kinglouis
Regular

Re: Hot Mac

Postby MOF » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:47 pm

Two of my mates bought 15” i9 32GB versions and both have got overheating batteries that have deformed the case.
Apparently the repairs require a different replacement battery.
The fact that a 16” MBP came out so soon after the 15” version and improved air cooling was advertised as a major feature makes me think that it was a known issue. I’ll certainly go for the 16” version when I’m next looking for a laptop.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:10 pm

Yes, the early i9 MBPs were notorious overheaters - too much processor for too little cooling.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby kinglouis » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:04 pm

Arrr. Frustrating. Honestly, you wait 7 years then get one with duff keys and an overexcited battery. I'll have a look at the 16".

Thanks gents,

Alex
kinglouis
Regular