You are here

Logic MIDI sync settings - 'Save as default' greyed out

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic MIDI sync settings - 'Save as default' greyed out

Postby redlester » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:21 pm

As per the title, Logic 10.5.1, the MIDI synchronisation settings are project based, not global. There is a 'Save as default' button, but it seems to be permanently greyed out no matter what I do.

Can others confirm this, I just want to check if it's just me. I know I could save it as a template, but I shouldn't need to if the save as default were working.
redlester
Regular

Re: Logic MIDI sync settings - 'Save as default' greyed out

Postby desmond » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:43 pm

Yes. It's even like that in the manual screenshots.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/l ... ac/10.14.6

But yes, you should save these things as a template. I think things like this are feature deferences to people who don't really know how to do things properly - ie, setup their own templates for efficient use, as I see many many people just starting from the default blank vanilla default Logic startup song.

The save as default feature (there are other configs that have this too, like the custom transport display and others) are a way to default some settings for those people who don't setup any templates to start from.

But I've not been able to "unlock" it in a few minutes of trying, so offhand I'm not sure what's going on there, without investigating further.

But what you see is normal, at least!
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby redlester » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:58 am

desmond wrote:Yes. It's even like that in the manual screenshots.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/l ... ac/10.14.6

But yes, you should save these things as a template. I think things like this are feature deferences to people who don't really know how to do things properly - ie, setup their own templates for efficient use, as I see many many people just starting from the default blank vanilla default Logic startup song.

The save as default feature (there are other configs that have this too, like the custom transport display and others) are a way to default some settings for those people who don't setup any templates to start from.

But I've not been able to "unlock" it in a few minutes of trying, so offhand I'm not sure what's going on there, without investigating further.

But what you see is normal, at least!

Thanks for clarifying it's not just me.

Looking at the manual, it actually says:
Save as Default button: Saves the current MIDI synchronization settings and applies them to all new projects.
So as it doesn't work, presumably this is a bug? Did it work in previous versions of Logic?

I know what you mean about templates, but I can't see why the MIDI sync settings are saved at project level rather than at global level (I have similar thoughts about the MIDI Chase feature), but that may be because I've come to it from Ableton where it's under the global preferences.
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:10 am

redlester wrote:So as it doesn't work, presumably this is a bug? Did it work in previous versions of Logic?

As I said above, I'm not sure offhand without investigating... (and I wasn't planning to investigate it either, at least not right now :)

redlester wrote:I know what you mean about templates, but I can't see why the MIDI sync settings are saved at project level rather than at global level (I have similar thoughts about the MIDI Chase feature), but that may be because I've come to it from Ableton where it's under the global preferences.

Well, many of these things are design choices, and there are also good reasons why they should be project based (not everyone wants to use the same setup on different projects, those settings come with you if you take a project to another studio rather than have to be recreated etc...).
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio