You are here

Mac Configuration Recommendation

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mac Configuration Recommendation

Postby aspsa » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:14 am

I am in the market to purchase either an iMac Pro or a Mac Pro (stand, not rack). Obviously, the latter is more extensible, but the iMac Pro specs and options appear to be quite powerful. So, here is my question. From your experience, assuming I want to fully leverage the iZotope music production suite, whereby I place Neutron 3 across most or all of a fairly high track count (48-64 tracks), along with Ozone 9 on individual busses and/or on the master buss, Nectar 3 across my vocal tracks, etc., what is the minimum CPU / memory / graphics card configuration that I would require on an iMac Pro? On a Mac Pro?

Consider the fact that an iMac Pro "requires" one to visit an Apple store to upgrade memory capacity and that there is only a total of four slots for its memory sticks, with a maximum 256 GB memory capacity, it would make sense to configure an iMac Pro minimally with 64 GB of RAM. From a practical usage perspective, I do not know if I should opt for a higher CPU cycle speed with fewer cores or more cores with a lower CPU cycle speed. I assume the previously mentioned iZotope apps are multi-threaded, in which case my guess would be to opt for a higher core count.

Your recommendations are very much appreciated. Thank you.
aspsa

Re: Mac Configuration Recommendation

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:02 pm

I am long way from being an expert but I have recently bought a new Mac for Logic. I got a Mac Mini with the 6 core 3.2ghz i7 that gives 6 virtual cores too. This happily runs dozens of plugin heavy tracks with instruments and cpu hungry effects without breaking sweat. You don’t need massive amounts of Ram unless you’re running massive sample libraries. I have 16gb and get nowhere near maxing it out. So spend your money on the processor. Don’t worry about the graphics side of things if you’re just doing music. Hope that helps.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Mac Configuration Recommendation

Postby aspsa » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:45 pm

DHL, thanks for the reply. I looked into the Mac Mini, and it has some positives. However, its specs are insufficient for my needs. At this point, I'm teetering on either an iMac Pro or a Mac Pro.
aspsa