You are here

iTunes Alternatives & Managing Metadata

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

iTunes Alternatives & Managing Metadata

Postby Sunshine82 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:04 pm

Although I’m a Mac user, Apple software tends to be quirky. I’m looking for an alternative to iTunes, a media library player that is compatible with ALL file types, can easily be linked to music in an external drive, and is compatible with smartphones. iTunes had failed me in all of these regards; although it’s possible, it’s quirky.

Also, can anyone recommend metadata tagging software that can be used to automatically identify the name of the artist, album, song, etc? Since I manually moved my music library outside of iTunes, all of that data was stripped away. I know need to either manually re-tag everything or to find a way to do it automatically.
Sunshine82
Poster

Re: iTunes Alternatives & Managing Metadata

Postby Trevor Johnson » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:35 pm

I've used JRiver Media Center for many years and it supports Windows, Mac OS, Linux and smartphones.

https://jriver.com/index.html
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby s_e_a_n » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:42 pm

If you want to read/write to the music db on an iOS device then iMazing. Then use the Music app to do all your playing.
s_e_a_n
Regular
Programmer, sound engineer, artist, musician

Postby resistorman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:20 am

I've never found an audio or video file that VLC couldn't play.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sunshine82 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:23 pm

resistorman wrote:I've never found an audio or video file that VLC couldn't play.

Thanks for the reminder; I forgot about this player. Can VLC be easily linked to music on an external drive? Or need the music be imported directly into the player first?

Also, is it easily compatible with iPhones? I'm not sure if the music transfer issue I'm having is due to iTunes or my iPhone, but either way my music never fully syncs and transfers as it should...
Sunshine82
Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:25 pm

Stick all your music on a cloud service and point to it with CloudBeats installed on your iPhone - you will never need iTunes again...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby desmond » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:27 pm

The Elf wrote:Stick all your music on a cloud service and point to it with CloudBeats installed on your iPhone - you will never need iTunes again...

As long as you don't want to listen to your music anywhere other than your phone, or without signal/an internet connection... :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Sunshine82 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:28 pm

Trevor Johnson wrote:I've used JRiver Media Center for many years and it supports Windows, Mac OS, Linux and smartphones.

https://jriver.com/index.html

Thanks for the suggestion. This is a pricey option, but it looks powerful. What features do you appreciate most about this program?

Also, can it be easily linked to music on an external drive? Is managing metadata easier in this program than in iTunes?
Sunshine82
Poster

Postby Sunshine82 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:29 pm

desmond wrote:
The Elf wrote:Stick all your music on a cloud service and point to it with CloudBeats installed on your iPhone - you will never need iTunes again...

As long as you don't want to listen to your music anywhere other than your phone, or without signal/an internet connection... :headbang:

Yeah, I definitely want to be able to listen to music offline. That's important to me. And I have a LOT of music, including WAV files, so I'm not sure I can afford that option...
Sunshine82
Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:07 pm

desmond wrote:

Not at all. You can choose to download a local copy to the phone/iPad - it will then work offline without a connection.

It can be your own NAS (which is how I do it) - it doesn't have to be a commercial cloud service, but you can use Google Drive, DropBox, Box, OneDrive, Mediafire & pCloud - and effectively 'aggregate' all this free cloud storage space. When you add more music you can set it to automatically download a local copy, if you like.

It doesn't preclude you listening to your music anywhere else - I can play it on my living room AV amp, my laptop, my iPad... I can play back in my car, my studio, or at the other side of the world! All my music with me, all the time!

What's not to like? :headbang:

Download the free 'lite' version of CloudBeats and give it a try. Here's more info: https://www.cloudbeatsapp.com/

There are others - I also use Evermusic, on occasion, but I find CB simple and reliable.

Oh, and *this* for sorting out your metadata: https://www.mp3tag.de/en/
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.