You are here

Logic Pro X beat mapping problems

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Pro X beat mapping problems

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:05 pm

Anyone else have odd behaviour with Beat Mapping? I don't use it very often but just started work on a mixing project for a mate who hadn't recorded to a click. Everything went swimmingly for several days after getting everything synced up automatically with Beat Mapping then suddenly today some of the original audio tracks were playing slow as if varispeeded.

I opened another Project Alternative from earlier in the process but after the beat mapping and it played fine. But this latest one is all over the shop on four of the original audio tracks, but not all of them. Have no clue what's happened as all I did to this project was import another audio couple of audio files.

Am using 10.4.8 still on Catalina
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Logic Pro X beat mapping problems

Postby desmond » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:23 pm

I'm not sure whether your problem is related to beat mapping - beat mapping is creating a tempo reference so that Logic's grid can line up with a free form or off-grid tempo.

I assume the tempo is still the same and everything is lining up to the grid as before, except for some audio tracks, so look to those tracks for the issue. Does that audio have "Follow tempo" checked (there are import preferences for these too). Does the imported audio already have tempo information in it? Flex time enabled? Any flex settings? Does turning flex on/off change anything?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Logic Pro X beat mapping problems

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:47 am

OK, so as you suggested, I went through every affected region and these all had Follow Tempo ticked, so unticked them and the problem went away. But the tracks I'd used a bit of flextime on had Flex and Follow instead of Follow Tempo.

BUT on the Project Alternative that works fine, these regions have Follow Tempo still checked and they work fine? And the same newly imported audio tracks are there too so clearly they're not the cause..

So I'm, as usual, very confused.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns