You are here

MIDI controller faders for orchestral composing

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

MIDI controller faders for orchestral composing

Postby Marco Mastrocola » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:35 pm

Can anyone recommend MIDI controller faders to use in orchestral composing in Logic? I need something that can give me the string and woodwind swells to make my compositions sound more real. I don't think I will need a whole bunch of faders unless you recommend I get more for this type of music creation.

Thanks
Marco Mastrocola
Regular
Marco Mastrocola Composer Musician Lecturer

Re: MIDI controller faders for orchestral composing

Postby Luke W » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:16 pm

I’m currently looking for something and it’s proving rather difficult. There’s a huge amount of controllers around but most are designed with DAW/soft synth control in mind so they usually come with lots of other controls and that I’ll never use.

I’ve done a fair bit of searching around to see what people suggest. Theres the modular bits from Palette but they’re certainly not cheap, things like the Korg Nanokontrol get mentioned a lot but the faders on the smaller ones are too short for my liking, and the larger ones have pots/jogwheels that wouldn’t see any use. A few of the common ones people use are now discontinued.

Personally I just want four 100mm faders and nothing else, and there’s really just not much of a market for that sort of thing. If you’re at all interested in DIY projects then there’s lots of guides around with how to build basic controllers, that’s probably the route I’m going to take when I find the time...
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:33 pm

This video shows Guy Michelmore discussing midi controllers and how he uses them. Might give you some inspiration.

https://youtu.be/tIA3i0dplRA

Stu.

edited to make YT link work - MW
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Marco Mastrocola » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:15 pm

Luke W wrote:I’m currently looking for something and it’s proving rather difficult. There’s a huge amount of controllers around but most are designed with DAW/soft synth control in mind so they usually come with lots of other controls and that I’ll never use.

I’ve done a fair bit of searching around to see what people suggest. Theres the modular bits from Palette but they’re certainly not cheap, things like the Korg Nanokontrol get mentioned a lot but the faders on the smaller ones are too short for my liking, and the larger ones have pots/jogwheels that wouldn’t see any use. A few of the common ones people use are now discontinued.

Personally I just want four 100mm faders and nothing else, and there’s really just not much of a market for that sort of thing. If you’re at all interested in DIY projects then there’s lots of guides around with how to build basic controllers, that’s probably the route I’m going to take when I find the time...

Thanks fr the advice.
Marco Mastrocola
Regular

Postby Marco Mastrocola » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:15 pm

Moroccomoose wrote:This video shows Guy Michelmore discussing midi controllers and how he uses them. Might give you some inspiration.

https://youtu.be/tIA3i0dplRA

Stu.

edited to make YT link work - MW

Thanks
Marco Mastrocola
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:55 pm

I use the faders built into whichever main master keyboard I'm using, and that's become an important part of my choice for that role.

But really there are loads of devices capable of doing what you need and it's just down to whichever takes your fancy.

So starting from something like the Behringer X-Touch mini (pretty good - I have one) and heading upwards in cost, where are we pitching?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Coastal Path » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:04 pm

I use the Korg Nanokontrol with my Spitfire string libraries. The fader throws are short, but I don't find it a problem. I like to record a pass to get the feel in the right ballpark, usually using 2 faders together for volume and expression, then often grab the pencil tool in Logic to tweak any glitches.
The Coastal Path
Regular
The Coastal Path

Postby AndyN » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:27 pm

If you have the space a second hand Novation remote zero sl mk2 works well. Long throw faders and you can label all the parameters on the screen. It’s quite big though.
AndyN
Regular

Postby mountain lion » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:13 pm

Hi

I was wondering, whats the difference between a fader and a slider? And whats a fader Throw?

Thanks
mountain lion
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:27 pm

Fader is a specific term for a linear potentiometer used for adjusting level/volume, typically used on a mixing desk 9though faders can also be rotary or, back in the day, lever operated). The 'fader throw' is, basically, the operating length of the fader. Long throw faders allow precise adjustments to be made more easily/accurately than short throw faders.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........