You are here

Recording CC data with Alchemy, not working?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Recording CC data with Alchemy, not working?

Postby Marco Mastrocola » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:13 pm

I have assigned 2 controllers to change the delay left and right on Alchemy in Logic. The controllers on my hardware do their job they allow me to change the left and right controllers on Alchemy, however when I record it does not record any changes.

What am I doing wrong here?
Marco Mastrocola
Regular
Marco Mastrocola Composer Musician Lecturer

Re: Recording CC data with Alchemy, not working?

Postby desmond » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:23 pm

Marco Mastrocola wrote:I have assigned 2 controllers to change the delay left and right on Alchemy in Logic.

The controllers on my hardware do their job they allow me to change the left and right controllers on Alchemy, however when I record it does not record any changes.

What am I doing wrong here?

If you made this assignment with Logic's Controller Assignments, then the incoming MIDI CC's that you are sending Logic match controller assignments you made, so they now directly control the plugin parameters, and the incoming MIDI CC's are blocked and never reach the sequencer part of Logic by design - thus, you can't "record" your incoming MIDI CC's in this manner.

As you are now directly controlling the plugin parameters by the knobs, they will generate automation events, so these changes can be 'recorded" by writing track or region-based automation.

This is how Controller Assignments work in Logic - you are mapping incoming MIDI messages to directly control plugin parameters, just as if you were moving the parameters with a mouse - and those changes are picked up by the automation system. All "control surface" messages, which are all controller assignments, are blocked from reaching the sequencer part of Logic by design.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:07 am

So, it's quite useful if you could come back and say "Yes, that fixed it for me" (or not), so that other people with a similar problem coming across this post in the future get an idea of whether this is an appropriate solution that worked. (Presumably it worked, as unless you solved it in the meantime, you'd be back for some more troubleshooting.)

It's also quite nice as a basic courtesy if you could include a "thanks" or something when people help solve your problem for you - this is now more than one occasion where you've asked for help with a Logic problem, I've given you what I believe to be a solution, and you take the solution and just walk off - until the next time you want help - this one also:

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 42#p708642

Maybe it's just me and perhaps it seems petty, but it really makes me less inclined to spend my time trying to help folks when they can't be bothered to take an extra minute to say "hey thanks for solving my problem". Whether you intend this or not, the takeaway for me is that my attempt to help you just has so little value you can't even be bothered to acknowledge it.

Maybe you're busy, maybe you just forgot etc etc... I shrugged it off before, but it still bugged me.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Marco Mastrocola » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:40 am

Yes, that did the trick, thanks for the detailed response.
Marco Mastrocola
Regular
Marco Mastrocola Composer Musician Lecturer

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:36 pm

Great, thanks! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster