You are here

Mac bootcamp help - No OS X disc?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mac bootcamp help - No OS X disc?

Postby james090 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:45 am

I am contemplating Bootcamp on an older iMac 21.5'' Mid 2011, 2.7Ghz Intel i5, with 4GB RAM and 1TB HD.

This is running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

I'd like to use it more as a Windows Machine, with no internet, but running a smaller scaled down version of Windows XP (which i have on disc) for a couple of programs from years and years ago, as a self contained (older) DAW..

I think bootcamp is the best option, as the iMac will just become a PC when I boot into Windows.. but I believe you still need the OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 disc at the end of the bootcamp install to finish up? (I don't have any discs)

Whats the best way to install Windows and bootcamp smoothly on a machine of this spec and age?

Thank you for any help
james090
Regular

Re: Mac bootcamp help - No OS X disc?

Postby Andy__D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:20 pm

The Mac OS install CD had a Windows partition that contains the Windows drivers for the Mac hardware. Since Mac OS updates started being delivered through the Apple store online, they have added a feature to the BootCamp assistant that allows you to copy this Windows driver installer partition to a flash drive, which you can use instead of the CD. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204923. I’ve used this on several Mac OS versions, from Lion thru Mavericks, and it seemed to work OK (I’ve not tried it on El Capitain, as I had to give up my work laptop that I used bootcamp on, and join the faceless hoard of PC users, but I expect it’d still work the same way).
Andy__D
Regular

Re: Mac bootcamp help - No OS X disc?

Postby S2 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:52 am

Hi

I installed Bootcamp on my late 2013 iMac 21.5" i5 with 8Mb. I didn't need any discs whatsoever, just downloaded everything from the internet. I followed a guide and put Windows 10 on as the non activated version is free and more than useable.

However my machine was on the latest OS, so I'm not sure if El Capitan is vastly different.
S2
Frequent Poster