You are here

Old OSX on new Mac

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Old OSX on new Mac

Postby peterloo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:24 pm

Is it possible to run Snow Leopard on a new Mac? I knew my setup inside out on my old Mac which worked really well for me with virtually no updates until it died last year.

I'd like to run Logic 9 and 32bit plug ins and I have a 2018 Mac mini running the latest version of Catalina and I find Logic X annoying.

Sorry if it has been asked before, any help would be much appreciated.\
peterloo

Re: Old OSX on new Mac

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:27 pm

peterloo wrote:Is it possible to run Snow Leopard on a new Mac?

No.

peterloo wrote:I'd like to run Logic 9 and 32bit plug ins and I have a 2018 Mac mini running the latest version of Catalina and I find Logic X annoying.

You'd have to get an older Mac capable of running El Capitan.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:04 pm

With Macs it is usually impossible to run an OS earlier than the one the computer shipped with when it was first released so if you Mac was originally shipped with Mojave but you bought it a few months after release and it had Catalina installed you should be able to install Mojave but El Capitan will not have the drivers to support the latest hardware and Macs are much less flexible than Windoze machines in that respect. Windows is much less flexible than it was too though and I doubt I could run my favourite Windows OS, Win XP, on a modern machine either.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby peterloo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:25 pm

desmond wrote:
peterloo wrote:Is it possible to run Snow Leopard on a new Mac?

No.

peterloo wrote:I'd like to run Logic 9 and 32bit plug ins and I have a 2018 Mac mini running the latest version of Catalina and I find Logic X annoying.

You'd have to get an older Mac capable of running El Capitan.

Bugger thought that was the case. Thanks for the reply
peterloo

Postby peterloo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:26 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:With Macs it is usually impossible to run an OS earlier than the one the computer shipped with when it was first released so if you Mac was originally shipped with Mojave but you bought it a few months after release and it had Catalina installed you should be able to install Mojave but El Capitan will not have the drivers to support the latest hardware and Macs are much less flexible than Windoze machines in that respect. Windows is much less flexible than it was too though and I doubt I could run my favourite Windows OS, Win XP, on a modern machine either.

I have a MacBook Air from 2014 never updated that I use for work, looks like I'll have to use that with logic 9. Thanks for the reply and saving me the pain of trying.
peterloo

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:32 pm

What are the specific things you dislike about LPX that make you want to return to LP9? (other than it being a bit different, interface-wise in general).
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Uncle Freddie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:07 pm

peterloo wrote:Is it possible to run Snow Leopard on a new Mac? I knew my setup inside out on my old Mac which worked really well for me with virtually no updates until it died last year.

I'd like to run Logic 9 and 32bit plug ins and I have a 2018 Mac mini running the latest version of Catalina and I find Logic X annoying.

Sorry if it has been asked before, any help would be much appreciated.\

No, it is not possible to run Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) on any new Mac. Apple purposely disables installing any OS older than the one the machine shipped with. As an example, you could install Snow Leopard on a machine that shipped with Leopard, but you could not install Snow Leopard on a machine that shipped with Lion.

But you do have some options:

Option 1, the ideal: buy a used Mac on eBay that was manufactured at around the same time as the one that died. This would be the most straightforward solution and you could be back in the saddle like nothing happened. This is what I would do.

According to this app MacTracker that I swear by, (https://mactracker.ca or https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mactracke ... 5202?mt=12) the last Mac mini (non-server) that shipped with Snow Leopard was the Mac mini (Mid 2010).

Option 2. Less than ideal, but might work on a new Mac: buy a virtualization app like VMware Fusion, create a virtual machine in the app, and on that virtual machine, install Snow Leopard. There are a number of gotchas to this approach, though:

Running music applications on a VM is probably asking for trouble.

You unfortunately would need to find a DVD of Snow Leopard Server, because Apple's virtual machine licensing rules prohibit the client version from being installed onto a virtual machine. (C'mon, Apple.)

Here are some details on the VM approach: https://www.lifewire.com/virtualization ... on-2260946
Uncle Freddie
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:33 pm

Uncle Freddie wrote:You unfortunately would need to find a DVD of Snow Leopard Server, because Apple's virtual machine licensing rules prohibit the client version from being installed onto a virtual machine. (C'mon, Apple.)

I don't think that's been true for a while. I've certainly virtualised OsX 10.11 with Logic 9 installed to run under Fusion without problem. Back in the day Leopard wouldn't virtualise without some fairly hefty hacking but Apple's licences have permitted it since Snow Leopard providing the underlying hardware was also Apple.

Here's Vmware on the subject.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:39 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Apple's licences have permitted it since Snow Leopard providing the underlying hardware was also Apple.

Here's Vmware on the subject.

Yeee-ees, but if you read that link, you'll see that Snow Leopard (non-server) is *not* permitted, and therefore not supported.
From memory, you have to do slightly naughty things to get Snow Leopard regular version to run in a VM...

Code: Select all
According to Apple's licensing policies, VMware only supports the virtualization of Apple Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) client or server, Apple Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) client or server, Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) client or server, Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) client or server, Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) client or server, 10.6 (Snow Leopard) server and 10.5 (Leopard) server.

Later versions, Apple explicitly let people virtualise, as long as they had the rights to use OSX (ie, had bought a Mac it ran on.) but Snow Leopard, you never could, which is why it's tricky.

I'm sure Apple don't really care, given that they happy for people do virtualise later versions, but there may have been specific licensing or legal technicalities that meant they could never officially let Snow Leopard be virtualised - or maybe it just fell through the cracks and they don't really care.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:07 pm

Actually you're right, as ever. I'd forgotten that back in the day I'd had to write a shell script that set a flag at the right moment during startup to cause Snow Leopard to believe it was legit and finish loading. It's not a route I would recommend because it was a bit unstable and subject to race conditions.

Anyway later versions of OSX and MacOs are fine.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.