You are here

Basic MIDI problem 2

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Basic MIDI problem 2

Postby alfredo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:39 pm

I'm trying to get my ancient 'MIDI out only' Evolution MK-261 to play software instruments in Logic Pro X through the MIDI input of a Scarlett 4i4.

This seemed to be working OK the other week, but now it isn't - there was a MIDI LED on the 4i4 that lit up previously, but it's not doing it anymore. The only variable since last time I plugged it all in is now I've got an AKAI MPD218 pad controller, which is USB-ed into the iMac.

So to recap: MK-261 (out) > 4i4 (in) via MIDI ; 4i4 > iMac via USB. Logic recognises both the 4i4 and the MPD218.

Thanks,

Pete
alfredo
Regular

Re: Basic MIDI problem 2

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:45 pm

Is the Evo turned on? Is it transmitting on MIDI channel 1?

When you logic Logic, and tap keys on the keyboard, do you see the MIDI activity light in the transport flash in time with your key presses?

Providing the Scarlett is working, it should just echo the MIDI it receives to the host - there's not particular reason MIDI wouldn't show up. So I'd suspect and troubleshoot the old Evo keyboard and MIDI connection first - make sure the keyboard is sending MIDI, your MIDI leads and correct and so forth.

You could try running Snoize's MIDI Monitor and spy on the output of the Scarlett to see whether it's sending MIDI to the system.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby alfredo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:08 pm

Thanks Desmond (again!). Evo is transmitting on Channel 1 but transport just stays on 'No In' and 'No Out' when the keys are pressed.

To add a track, I'm going '+' > 'Software instrument'. That box shows ''Empty channel strip' under 'Instrument' , 'Output 1 + 2' under 'Audio output' and all the other boxes are unticked. 'Device' shows 'Scarlett 4i4 USB'.
alfredo
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:14 pm

alfredo wrote:Thanks Desmond (again!). Evo is transmitting on Channel 1 but transport just stays on 'No In' and 'No Out' when the keys are pressed.

Ok, then you're definitely not getting anything.

Just to rule something out, try selecting Logic Pro X -> Control Surfaces -> Bypass all Control Surfaces and see if that makes a difference.

Also, make sure you don't have the Scarlett's MIDI port disabled in Preferences -> MIDI -> Inputs.

If not, as I said, I'd suspect the keyboard, or the MIDI cable/connection as to where the problem lies, not from the Scarlett onwards.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby alfredo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:21 pm

No change with 'Bypass all Control Surfaces' and Scarlett's MIDI post is enabled.

Maybe the Evo has just decided enough's enough!
alfredo
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:23 pm

alfredo wrote:Maybe the Evo has just decided enough's enough!

Is there a factory reset for it?

Have you got other MIDI gear you can try with it? (to bypass the whole computer side completely)

Tried a different MIDI cable? Is the cable going from the keyboard MIDI Out to the Scarlett's MIDI IN? (sorry, had to ask!)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby alfredo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:37 pm

Just tried the Evo with an old Saffire 6 and nothing there either. Also connected it to my XV3080's MIDI In - 'MIDI Message' LED not lighting up, so I guess it's just given up transmitting.

Ah well. More expense!

Thanks ever so much for your time and expertise, Desmond. Much appreciated.
alfredo
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:42 pm

You're welcome!
desmond
Jedi Poster