You are here

Logic hangs when quitting

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic hangs when quitting

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:55 am

Here is an odd one I can’t find a fix for. I’ve been trying to find a fix on the internet for 4 days now with no luck. There are a few postings about others having this problem but no fixes have worked. Even Apple have posted about this but their suggestions don’t work either. Apple fixed this random issue in 10.5

Logic 10.4.4 (I can’t upgrade as it would mean upgrading the computer and other related hard and software expenses). Mac OS 10.12.6 Sierra (Sierra was more stable than High Sierra on this machine)
When I quit Logic the program hangs and doesn’t quit. Force Quit is the only option. Then Midi and Audio is buggered and I must restart the computer so it will all work again. The only thing I haven’t done is start with a fresh drive, a fresh system, fresh install of Logic and all the plugs. But I may have to go there. I’m reaching out in case someone else has had this issue and found a fix. Meanwhile the duplicate identical computer in the next room is working fine. I’m not savvy enough to try anything with Terminal unless I’m walked through it.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Logic hangs when quitting

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:57 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Even Apple have posted about this but their suggestions don’t work either. Apple fixed this random issue in 10.5

Can you link to where they talk about this fix for 10.5? That'll presumably give a clue as to the problem.

ManFromGlass wrote:When I quit Logic the program hangs and doesn’t quit. Force Quit is the only option.

Just when using Logic alone, with an empty song, with no third-party plugins - quitting Logic like this hangs for you? Consistently?

ManFromGlass wrote:Then Midi and Audio is buggered and I must restart the computer so it will all work again.

"Buggered"?

Logic cannot interfere with OSX at a system level to kill the audio or MIDI services. It sounds like there is something going on with them, that you're seeing symptoms of while using Logic. Check and remove all your audio interface drivers, and remove any MIDI drivers, and try with that configuration. If that works ok, then start reinstalling the drivers you need one by one and if the problem comes back, you've identified the cause.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby al_diablo » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:36 pm

I can't remember which version it was but I found an old version of logic crashed every time I tried to quit with a project open.

If I closed the project before quitting the application everything was fine.

Is it the same issue?
al_diablo
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:52 am

Not the same issue. I did sort out the problem. Desmond’s post gave me a push in the direction I was just about to explore. For now I’ll be a bit mysterious and just say it appears to be a German thing. Right now it’s late at night. I’ll post a coherent explanation in the morning.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:41 pm

To answer Desmond’s question - (this from Apple’s site)

So the problem was the RME driver. I’ve used RME for a long time - rock solid and dependable for me. Occasionally I use other interfaces without an issue. But, and this may only apply to one of my computers, (running Sierra) the RME driver would not “let go” of control of this computer when I used any driver other than it. (I did not have the RME hardware connected.) This includes switching all sound in and out to Apple’s internal audio setup. As soon as I plugged the RME hardware back in Logic would quit properly. Audio Midi setup wouldn’t lock up anymore. Third party Logic plugins would work again instead of failing Logic’s AU test. I didn’t remove or disable the RME driver when having the problems, but I didn’t think of it as internet research seemed to suggest it could be a drive issue. Diskwarrior would literally turn my computer off and back on because it said there was an issue with the boot drive, when I tried to scan the boot drive (when booted from another drive).
Anyway problem fixed. On to the next computer wrinkle in my future.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:54 pm

Thanks for posting the solution - weird one, but obviously something low down driver related...

Glad you found the culprit and at least have a workaround if/when it happens.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:51 pm

and thanks for your suggestions. Sometimes one gets stuck in a narrow view of a problem until someone comes along and gives a nudge.
Hopefully this can save someone else a lot of aggravation. It was my karma to spend a few days messing about with hard drives and pulling my hair out!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:55 pm

UPDATE -
A buddy running virtually the same system as I tried an experiment of disconnecting his RME hardware, setting his audio in/out/alerts to internal, rebooting his computer, booting Logic 10.4.4 and then quitting Logic.
His Logic hangs as well.
He is High Sierra, I am Sierra. Latest RME drivers and Total Mix like me.
So it is either an RME issue or an IOS issue or ???
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby rACed2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:52 am

Which version RME drivers/TotalMix are you using exactly, and what firmware version is your RME device on?
rACed2
Regular
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:12 pm

I thought my multiface and drivers were the latest but I will double check in case something newer has come out.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)