You are here

Logic 10.5 borks opening older projects

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic 10.5 borks opening older projects

Postby Dave B » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:11 pm

Anyone else seen this?

For some reason, before I upgraded to 10.5, I copied my 10.4 instance of Logic and it's been a godsend. For some reason, if I try to open anything which was created/last saved on a version of Logic over a couple of releases ago, Logic quits. If I open the project in my 10.4 instance and re-save, the project will open just fine in 10.5.

At first I thought that it might be a rogue plugin, but I'm struggling here as I've had projects with almost no plugins that have exhibited the same behaviour. Has anyone else had this?
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Logic 10.5 borks opening older projects

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 pm

Dave B wrote:For some reason, before I upgraded to 10.5, I copied my 10.4 instance of Logic and it's been a godsend.

Everyone should *always* retain older versions before upgrading, just in case. It's standard practice for Logic users, particularly if there are big changes between versions (10.4.4 -> 10.4.5 is another case in point.)

Dave B wrote:For some reason, if I try to open anything which was created/last saved on a version of Logic over a couple of releases ago, Logic quits. If I open the project in my 10.4 instance and re-save, the project will open just fine in 10.5.

I haven't seen that, or seen people's reports of that, or experienced it.

Dave B wrote:At first I thought that it might be a rogue plugin, but I'm struggling here as I've had projects with almost no plugins that have exhibited the same behaviour. Has anyone else had this?

Have you done the usual troubleshoot dance? (Start with trashing - ie moving temporarily to the desktop - the preferences, both of them).

What version of 10.4.x were you previously using?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Logic 10.5 borks opening older projects

Postby Dave B » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:17 am

FYI : sorted. It turns out that my kMeter plugin was a slightly older version which has a known issue with Logic 10.5.1 so a simple update and I'm back up and running again.

Which is nice :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)