You are here

MacBook Pro 2010 w/Logic. Anybody using one?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

MacBook Pro 2010 w/Logic. Anybody using one?

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:04 pm

A buddy wants to sell me his13” 2010 MacBook Pro for $150 Cdn. Seems in good condition but still has the original memory and HD in it. Is anybody using one with Logic> I assume that you would have had the internal memory and HD beefed up to accommodate Logic.
Any other thoughts on this machine would be appreciated. It would not be my primary machine, but a traveling machine for those days when presentations need to be made on someone else’s soil.
I’m covered for external HDs and an interface. From what I’m reading in this Mac forum, the new MacBooks are a bit of a step backwards in terms on connectivity and features not needed like that ribbon thingy. I am not counting the power and speed etc of the new machines as I don’t need that.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: MacBook Pro 2010 w/Logic. Anybody using one?

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:13 pm

Just remember it doesn't support Metal and so you can't install Mojave on it, or run the current Logic version.

LPX 10.4.8 is the last High Sierra compatible version you could run.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:24 pm

My towers are Sierra so I have to run the previous version of Logic. One of the local Mac repair places suggests don’t bother with this machine. I’ll call to ask why. I’ll post any info back here.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:15 pm

Macs are, generally, more reliable than cheaper PC laptops* but cost more to repair. However they do break though but there is a thriving market for used parts so unless you are unlucky and need something that is very prone to failure meaning there are few working used ones around you can usually get an older MBP repaired reasonably inexpensively.

WRT the 2010 you are thinking of buying I'd say that at $150 you can't go far wrong and both my 2011 and 2012 MBPs run Reaper happily enough on High Sierra.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:55 am

So I'm going to pass on this machine because -
it only has 4GB of memory
the HD is 319 GB
I need to buy a used charger as well.
It will cost between $300-$500 to upgrade it to a Logic usable machine plus the original $150 cost. The RAM will take at least 2 weeks to come in. I haven't used it for an hour yet and the battery is already down to 36%
So I might as well save for a younger, faster, currently non-dead end machine. It sounded like a deal in the beginning, but then ya weighs your needs and does your research . . . .
Thanks for all your thoughts.
And like Pavlov's iPad using dog - I keep reaching for the screen to click on buttons before remembering there is a track pad to use. doh!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:47 pm

HDDs are not expensive and my MBPs run happily enough with 4GB RAM but I don't use them for heavy duty recording . OTOH, like everything computer related, buying newer/more powerful kit is usually worth the extra expense.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Johnny Stecchino » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:05 am

Hi,
there should be a patch for installing Mojave and Catalina on non supported Macbook Pro. I’m tending to try it myself on a 2011 Macbook pron15”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxFzZWqoCng

Check out if the CPU is strong enough. Yours might be a dual core i5 processor, not a great choice...
Good luck!
Johnny Stecchino
Regular
Pro. violinist who likes some experiments...