You are here

New Macs

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New Macs

Postby Johnsy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:39 pm

desmond wrote:
Maybe Apple itself doesn't even have a consistent way or treating this.

They've been perfectly consistent in everything I've seen. No capitalisation. Not a name.

desmond wrote:
and then all the written coverage thereafter.

... By people other than Apple. Exactly my original point.

desmond wrote:Anyway, it doesn't matter

To you, perhaps. I find it interesting.

desmond wrote: I can't say I'm bothered either way, nor do I want to research it

Don't then.

desmond wrote:Anyway - back to the laptops - amazing that you can spank them on full load for fifteen minutes and have them barely get warm! With the Intel MBP's, you barely have to ask the CPU to add a couple of numbers together before the fans kick into action! :crazy:

Well, a bit tangential, but yes, they sound very good.
Johnsy
Regular

Postby Agharta » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:24 pm

Apple - The Original Sin.
This Christmas, go on and be a devil and give your girlfriend the ultimate lift and buy her Apple Silicone.
Available this Black Friday on an exclusive two for one deal.

** Only compatible with Apple bras.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby tea for two » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:40 pm

Doffing cap to ARM Cambridge.

Yep M1 low power draw tightly integrated with Apple apps performance is something else.

Max has some informative comparisons
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=59gAjXT7qyw
M1 mini 15W Vs 200w total i7 6core mini 2019 with external gpu AMD 5700xt (Nvidia rtx2070 similar).

Performance pretty much same.

Bonkers.

Environmental reasons, Utility bill reasons : no brainer

LP + FCP + Lightroom + some iPad OS apps : Im good to go.

:::::

As for whether 8GB or 16GB : just go 16GB so swap file on SSD is kept to minimum usage.

M1 iMac Pro may get 2*M1 with who knows how much RAM.

Apple apparently reserved 3nm with TSMC for M2 in 2022 maybe .

I ported over to AMD Ryzen in 2018 was a no brainer .

Ryzen Desktop Laptop, Workstation Threadripper, Server Epyc.

I will still keep a Touchscreen AMD Ryzen 4700U laptop also a 15W 8Core with Vega11 graphics.

There's handheld AMD Ryzen gaming consoles eg SmachZ https://www.smachz.com/ they say is the "Most powerful handheld console"

Now if Apple were to make M1 handheld gaming console holy smokes batman.

Big Sur(veillance) will Survey my muzak making video photo editing. It doesn't matter to me.

I still have my 2010 Mbp with Snow Leopard on a partition to undertake necessary internet things.

::::::

As for ARM Vs x86 ; RISC Vs CISC; 5nm M1 Vs 7nm AMD Vs 14nm intel
Thre's enough YouTube videos.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:03 pm

So this may be some bad news in general for seeing arm based DAW ports quickly:

Apple says that plugins of a different architecture cannot be loaded into a process, this is not quite true as Intel Audio Units can be loaded into an Arm process.

VST2 and VST3 Intel plugins cannot be loaded into an Arm process though.

Apples advice is to host all your Intel plugins in a separate XPC process and communicate with that process from your main process.

Might hold things up a bit!
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:01 pm

desmond wrote:One question, which I was planning on researching - I'm not sure what the current ports on those machines are, but on my MBP, I have Thunderbolt (1) ports, and because the cables have chips in them, they (annoyingly) generate quite a lot of heat when plugged in (which contributes to heating the computer up as well).

Do the ports in modern machines still generate heat like this? Or do they use a different tech and stay cool like say a regular USB cable?

Well, FWIW i have plugged into one of the TB3 ports on my iMac Pro a TB3 -> TB2 adapter, leading to an LG TB2 monitor which in turn is daisy chained to an Apollo 8 and then an Apollo Silverface. The cables at the TB3 end are just discernibly warm. In fact none of the cables run at any real temperature.

Two of the other TB3 ports I'm actually using as USB 3.1 (slapped wrist, USB 3.2, of course) and the fourth is currently unoccupied.

I've had my iMac pro for 2.5 years now and expect it to last me quite few more. By the time I need to give it up I wouldn't be too surprised if Apple are considering changing their CPU architecture again! After all they have quite a lot of form in this area. So this discussion is interesting but academic for me.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
International Mercurial Man of Mystery.

Postby desmond » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:17 pm

The latest "M1X" (unconfirmed) leaks suggest the version of the chip likely coming for the new form factor Macbook Pros in 2021 will be 12-core - ie, they'll have 8 performance cores, and 4 high-efficiency cores - so, around double the performance we're seeing in the current M1 chips for the currently available machines, which have 4 of each type of core.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Humble Bee » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:50 pm

I found this article About Apples M1 very informative:

https://debugger.medium.com/why-is-appl ... 62b158cba2

The future looks very snappy And sharp indeed yes sir! :bouncy:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Luke W » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:46 pm

Humble Bee wrote:I found this article About Apples M1 very informative:

Just having a nose through that, thanks.

It's all looking very interesting, and I'm definitely glad I decided to delay ordering a Mac Mini.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby tea for two » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:07 am

Humble Bee wrote:I found this article About Apples M1 very informative:

Appreciated

TLDR :

M1 family are optimised for certain tasks apps that's why they perform brilliantly for these tasks apps :
easier to make ARM for specific tasks apps
eg 128 cores Altra Max ARM specifically made for the cloud.

Whilst M1 family will be cr*p to average at tasks apps its not optimised for.

AMD Intel are general purpose covering as many tasks apps as possible thus obviously they are jack of .....
alongiside their architecture requiring Higher GHz a LOT MORE Wattage compared to M1.

M1 RISC architecture has 8 instruction decoders compared max 4 on AMD intel CISC :
thus 2x as many instructions processed by M1.
Apple can add even more decoders to M1.

M1 Re Order Buffer : ROB is 3x size of AMD intel
Holding 3x as many instructions :
thus M1 runs faster at lower GHz because it's 3x ROB size can be far more quickly filled up with far more micro op instructions.

I'm only gonna use Mac Mini M1 for what it's optimised for : muzik making video editing photo editing.

I might just wait to see price of M1X Mac's.

In my view AMD latest current 5000 series Ryzen and forthcoming Threadripper being so far ahead of intel
along with performance better than M1 for tasks apps M1 optimised for,
actually makes sense for Apple to put 5000 AMD Ryzen or forthcoming Threadripper into forthcoming Mac Pro with its large fans large cpu heatsink.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby miN2 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:26 pm

tea for two wrote:Max has some informative comparisons
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=59gAjXT7qyw
M1 mini 15W Vs 200w total i7 6core mini 2019 with external gpu AMD 5700xt (Nvidia rtx2070 similar).

Performance pretty much same.

Bonkers.

I didn't see any thermal test there, so considering all apple computers thermal throttle save for the chees grater (although i'm not totally sure about the minis...), this might not be a comparison between the two chips, but rather between the Apple units.

Comparisons between M1 and AMD/Intel need to be done in an adequate AMD/Intel environment.

I'm not knocking M1 (i think it looks excellent so far), but this comparion is most likely between old mac mini and new mac mini, not between i7 and M1.
miN2
Regular

Postby Dave Rowles » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:38 pm

Mark Payne ( co founder and former Technical Director of SFL Group) has done a few videos looking at Apple M1,

https://www.youtube.com/user/marksflgroup

Quite interesting!
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby tea for two » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:19 pm

tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:39 am

The main problem I have found so far with the M1 is "Big Sur" or as I have nicknamed it "you piece of shit".
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:25 pm

I see the new Minis only have two Tbolt ports compared to the previous generation's four. Bit mean, that.

CC

Edit: apparently you'll be able to use Tbolt 4 hubs with the new ports so that goes a bit to alleviating the lack of ports. Want to bet you'll need a second mortgage to buy one?
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
International Mercurial Man of Mystery.

Postby desmond » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:57 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I see the new Minis only have two Tbolt ports compared to the previous generation's four. Bit mean, that.

This is because all these new machines are entry level machines, and use the M1, which at this time has limited connectivity support (two channels which support two ports).

The next variant of the chip (likely the "M1X" but we'll see) will support more I/O (and ram), and these will be used in Macbook Pros, iMacs, and the higher end Mac Mini to replace the remaining Intel one.

So if you need more connectivity, you should avoid this first generation of M1-machines, as they are only the *low-end* models.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

PreviousNext