You are here

New Macs

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New Macs

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:52 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:That's my understanding but as an iMac Pro owner it doesn't bother me. This machine will see me well into the Apple silicon era; indeed at my age it might be my last ever computer.

Indeed - it doesn't stop it from being a great machine! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:02 pm

desmond wrote:
CS70 wrote:They last exactly as long the real Apple ones, but occasionally give the "not supported" message..

Not in my experience.

Eh well, we have different experiences.

My Apple cables - the ones the come with the devices and some I bought later on, ended up with the rubber peeling at the connector edge within about 6 moths. The copy ones last about as much - usually they stop working rather than peeling, but because then ones I get tend not to have rubber but textile. Which is why now I buy only copies. I go thru about 4 cables a year.

Admittedly having several children in the house swapping cables all the time may have something to do with that. :lol:

I wouldn't dream of buy anything counterfeit (dont see the point) which is why I misread you.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby BigRedX » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:24 am

My experience of Apple vs non-Apple cables has been much the same a Demond's. It is most noticeable with the Lightning/USB cables, to the point where now I won't even consider using anything but genuine Apple ones.

However for the more "chunky" cables like FW and USB A-B the ones that come with a device from a reputable brand are generally robust enough.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Re: Mac Mini M1 - from £551

Postby Agharta » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:42 pm

Amazon UK have some decent discounts on the M1 Minis, starting at £551:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08N5NT8VF? ... A1OLE&th=1
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:37 pm

Interesting, I guess people aren't buying these 8GB ones.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 05, 2021 11:15 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Two shiny new MacBooks arrived at around 10:45 this morning, both have gone through the setup process without a hitch. Mrs S thinks her Rose Gold MacBook Air is "very pretty" :D

I think the screen, keyboard and touch pad are excellent, boot up times are not much different to my SSD equipped 2012 MBP but overall is seems more sprightly and iCloud has worked it's magic so just the other stuff to transfer from the various archives. Every time I get a new ssd or, in this case computer I am full of good intentions about the lean mean machine It's going to be then it ends up with everything including the kitchen sink on there :headbang:

2020 MBP M1 update.

Hmmm, well over the weekend the screen on my new MBP has taken to displaying flashing rectangles and fine horizontal lines. It's currently backing up to Time Machine and awaiting collection by Apple's couriers while I type this on the old 2012 MBP :frown:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BobTheDog » Wed May 05, 2021 11:17 am

Mmm, that didn't last long!
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 05, 2021 12:12 pm

No, more than a little disappointed but that's life, there have to be a few that go wrong. Better now than out of warrantee and if they fix it promptly then I can live with that.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed May 05, 2021 12:35 pm

My luck is to have issues a few days after the warranty expires.
You are fortunate.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 am

Sam Spoons wrote:No, more than a little disappointed but that's life, there have to be a few that go wrong. Better now than out of warrantee and if they fix it promptly then I can live with that.

Yeah I'd much rather things fail quickly. Manufacturing errors, and random failures happen no matter how much you spend on things.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster

http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp

Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu May 13, 2021 10:53 pm

Well the MBP is finally on it's way home, at least UPS say it is but they said that last night and this morning before deciding it wasn't and was being 'held' by Czech Republic Customs due to a missing document. I had to phone UPS who couldn't do anything except suggest I called Apple so they could send the document. Apple said (after a 15 minute call, mostly spent on hold) that they would send the 'pro forma invoice' by email to UPS but it would take 24 hours :madas: (it's a fecking email FFS, push the fecking button and send it...). Anyway 40 mins after my call to Apple UPS emailed to say the package was scheduled for delivery tomorrow and tracking now says it's 'on the way'... Fecking Brexit, what a totally stupid idea that was... :madas: :madas: :madas:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 14, 2021 10:54 am

But Johnson said there weren't going to be any non-tariff barriers? He wouldn't have lied to the House would he?
Hopefully you'll have your hands on a fully working device shortly.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby BobTheDog » Fri May 14, 2021 1:07 pm

Boris lying.

Who would have thought it.

Seems to go down well with the voters though.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri May 14, 2021 2:47 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:
desmond wrote:All I can say is... Apple are going to sell a metric shedload of Macs over the coming year... :shocked:

Sadly not to me... :cry:

And sadly, not to me either.
Even a simple thing like auditioning multiple audio/sample files in Windows isn’t possible on a Mac, Photos keeps crashing, and the price you pay for the "Mac Experience" doesn’t last long before it’s not supported, plus, Macs aren’t infallible, mine is a 2014 27 inch i Mac top spec, and it’s needed a total nuke twice since I’ve owned it.
All in all, I’d never waste my money on a Mac again...................

Yep, as the old adage goes "Nobody ever went bankrupt underestimating the gullibility of the great unwashed"

I think the same goes for Apple phones, yes they are good, but way over-priced, Huawei were snapping at the heels of Apple, their phones were getting too good. It is hardly surprising the Trumpster banned them, as one thing for sure, market forces wouldn't have repelled them (the competition)
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Fri May 14, 2021 2:53 pm

blinddrew wrote:But Johnson said there weren't going to be any non-tariff barriers? He wouldn't have lied to the House would he?

Well he would say that wouldn't he, he couldn't lie straight in bed, and will say anything to suit the moment. On a radio phone in the other day it became established that nowadays the populace don't delude themselves into the notion that politicians are squeaky clean and there is universal acceptance of malodourous doings and that the difference between politicians is that some are better at covering their tracks than other. What a poor state of affairs.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext