You are here

New Macs

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New Macs

Postby Kwackman » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Please Miss, I was just copying Desmond Miss.... :D
His ain't much better! Your first one was easier to read.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby desmond » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:00 pm

Kwackman wrote:That's pretty hard to see on my laptop screen, your first shade of green was better.

Intentionally so...

Kwackman wrote:And returning to topic, I agree with Desmond re the next generation of M1 macs- the next generation of mac mini could be the replacement for my 2010 MacPro....

Yep, if the MBP's aren't coming out until Autumn 2021, I might go for a Mac Mini too...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:07 pm

Actually the only thing I'd really miss would be Vmware Fusion. For various historical reasons I still use Windows quite a bit for some non-audio applications and I can't really see that working for x86 code.

Still, I don't have to move for years so I've plenty of time to organise my way out of that. I like Mac Minis too, we've still got two in active use in the house.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Intergalactic Mercurial Man of Mystery.

Postby desmond » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:14 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Actually the only thing I'd really miss would be Vmware Fusion. For various historical reasons I still use Windows quite a bit for some non-audio applications and I can't really see that working for x86 code.

On the plus side, if necessary it's easy enough to pick up an inexpensive PC laptop or something to take of those needs, if it continues to be impractical to run Windows on Mxx Macs going forward.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:00 pm

desmond wrote:
Kwackman wrote:That's pretty hard to see on my laptop screen, your first shade of green was better.

Intentionally so...

Hence my copying and subsequent flippant reply :D

WRT the OP, My 2012 MBP has started occasionally switching itself off, it's most likely fixable but I nearly bought a new MBP in the summer so maybe having this one starting to become a little troublesome is a sign, and I have a birthday in a couple of months... ;)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Agharta » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:12 pm

desmond wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote:Actually the only thing I'd really miss would be Vmware Fusion. For various historical reasons I still use Windows quite a bit for some non-audio applications and I can't really see that working for x86 code.

On the plus side, if necessary it's easy enough to pick up an inexpensive PC laptop or something to take of those needs, if it continues to be impractical to run Windows on Mxx Macs going forward.

Something like an Intel NUC is a possibility as a replacement for a Mac Mini.
Or probably even better get a similar size system with an AMD 5000 series CPU.
They are tiny and you can add your own RAM, M.2 and the taller models also support a 2.5" SATA drive.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:19 pm

Or, of course, I could use the M$ Surface Pro 4 I've already got ...

Sorry about that. I have, it seems, just slightly more money than sense and so I have quite a bit of hardware dotted about the place.

CC

PS note I said "just slightly more" and so I am not in a position to assist similarly senseless people. Try Platforms Anonymous.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:24 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:PS note I said "just slightly more" and so I am not in a position to assist similarly senseless people. Try Platforms Anonymous.

Is that a 12 steps program for train spotters? :lol:
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:10 pm

9 ¾, actually.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby al_diablo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:13 pm

Kwackman wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:really fatuous?
That's pretty hard to see on my laptop screen, your first shade of green was better.

Edit to add, when it's quoted, and therefore on a darker background, it's easier to see.

And returning to topic, I agree with Desmond re the next generation of M1 macs- the next generation of mac mini could be the replacement for my 2010 MacPro....

My 2010 mac pro (base model) has always been fine for my music needs but even with the best GPU i
I could fit in it, its painfully slow for video editing.

If Adobe start supporting the m1 natively I may go for one.
al_diablo
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:43 pm

There's rumours for a "Mac Pro Mini", which would be more like a tower machine for people who like that form factor but for which a full Mac Pro is overkill.

Might be a good machine for studios, as an alternative to the higher end Mac Mini's, if it's real...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:57 pm

desmond wrote:There's rumours for a "Mac Pro Mini", which would be more like a tower machine for people who like that form factor but for which a full Mac Pro is overkill.

Might be a good machine for studios, as an alternative to the higher end Mac Mini's, if it's real...

I was just heading here to post that. There does seem to be some fairly detailed ideas of what it's going to be so it'll be interesting to see what actually happens.

I also read about the thought that the larger Mac Pro may stick with Intel, with the smaller "in between" model being M-Whatever based.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:11 pm

I can't see them running Apple Silicon and Intel side by side for long...

I still can't make my mind up whether to buy a new Macbook Air or a used/refurbed MBP
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BobTheDog » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:21 pm

I think I read somewhere two years, don’t quote me on that though!
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:35 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I can't see them running Apple Silicon and Intel side by side for long...

I thought the same initially. However it looks like the reason for people believing that the Pro could stick with Xeon for a while is that the Apple chips are still a way off of offering the sorts of graphics performance that you can achieve on a high end Pro with third party GPU's. So until either that happens, or the majority of third party GPU's are running smoothly on Apple silicon, then it does seem to make sense to keep using Intel there for the time being.

All just repeated information though, I have very little understanding when it comes to computer hardware.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

PreviousNext