You are here

New Macs

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New Macs

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:46 pm

They will have to keep developing and supporting two versions of the OS though which is clearly going to be more work.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby tea for two » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:41 pm

Mark Gurman reliable apple leaker

https://mobile.twitter.com/markgurman/s ... 6641904643
"Apple is planning for the return of the SD card slot in the upcoming 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros.
This is looking like the “fix everything” edition - with MagSafe also returning and the Touch Bar going away."

These are also supposed to have mini Led panels for screens.

I shall wait until released.

I still like ipad pro touchscreen controlling m1 macmini via Luna Display
https://shop.astropad.com/
Perhaps this is the route I will take.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:17 pm

MagSafe returning is definitely something I'm pleased to hear.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby desmond » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:42 pm

I'm curious how Apple are going to market this...

"We know you all loved the laptops we were making 6 years ago, so we've done that again! We think you're really going to love them, and can't wait to see what you do with MacBook Pro"...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:49 pm

They have to change the shape or colour at least to help justify the higher cost!
Or
They will change the end of the MagSafe so it only works on new machines and old MagSafes won’t work on the new machine.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:29 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:They have to change the shape or colour at least to help justify the higher cost!

There is a new design language (based on the current iPhone design language) but the design changes will be fairly minor from current models. The main visable difference will be the lack of the touch bar.

ManFromGlass wrote:They will change the end of the MagSafe so it only works on new machines and old MagSafes won’t work on the new machine.

Yes, they will do that for sure - it won't be compatible with the old magsafe cables of the previous decade's machines.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BigRedX » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:46 pm

desmond wrote:Yes, they will do that for sure - it won't be compatible with the old magsafe cables of the previous decade's machines.

Apple have already changed the design of the MagSafe connector once as I discovered when I bought a spare PSU for my 2012 MacBook Pro.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby desmond » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:10 pm

BigRedX wrote:Apple have already changed the design of the MagSafe connector once as I discovered when I bought a spare PSU for my 2012 MacBook Pro.

Indeed!
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:06 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:They will change the end of the MagSafe so it only works on new machines and old MagSafes won’t work on the new machine.

Almost certainly, my two MBP's have different shaped MagSafes. But as long as they have one, I can get over that. I'm sure the machine I'm typing this on owes it's existence (or at the very least the fact that it's retained it's original shape!) to the fact that I can't catapult it across the room via it's power cable.

Although saying that I don't think I'll be in the market for a laptop anytime soon, I'm hoping an updated Mini or the "diet" Pro if they end up happening will be my next machine.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby BobTheDog » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:52 pm

Laptops are useful if you go somewhere, currently at least in the UK this is a distant memory.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:30 pm

So then would you say that a laptop is an optimists machine? Just in case travel expands beyond leaving one room and entering another?
:D
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:02 pm

So then would you say that a laptop is an optimists machine? Just in case travel expands beyond leaving one room and entering another?
Yes it’s the computer equivalent of getting married for a third time - the triumph of optimism over experience. :D
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:02 am

ManFromGlass wrote:So then would you say that a laptop is an optimists machine? Just in case travel expands beyond leaving one room and entering another?

Weird, I hadn't thought of using a computer in two rooms. Good point!

Computers=work, so only in the office. The idea of using one elsewhere in the house fills me with horror :)
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby carl pittam » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:49 pm

So I’m loving my M1 MacBook Pro but it seems impossible to buy an interface that works with it yet, beyond my esi u24xl, which is adequate but basic.

Does anyone know whether the issue is Apple not making information available for dev work soon enough or whether it’s such a big change that interface manufacturers haven’t been able to adapt quickly enough? Really frustrating!
carl pittam
CaptainHaddock

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:08 am

These are major changes, you have to wait for things to shake out a bit - usually, it makes sense to wait until a lot of these transition issues are worked out.

I just had a look at Focusrite's Scarlett range, and they are supported and work on Big Sur on both Intel and Apple silicon platforms (as they are class compliant), although their Focusrite Control app doesn't yet work on Apple silicon.

The more complicated the driver situation, the more work it is for interface developers to keep their stuff working
desmond
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext