You are here

"Empty" Bounce File - Logic Pro X

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

"Empty" Bounce File - Logic Pro X

Postby Mach 109 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:13 pm

I have been playing with my newly-acquired Logic Pro X 10.5. Previously I have been using Logic Studio X on a couple of elderly MacPros for a couple of years. The "X" is installed on a 2012 iMac running OS X 10.14 (Mojave). I have reasonably extensive experience of both Macs and Final Cut Pro.

The problem that I want to ask is one that I have also had on the older version but got around it in a peculiar way. That fix does not seem to work with the more recent version. It's the problem of bounce files not containing what I want it to contain. When I export (bounce) the project to a stereo audio file, the file is the right length but blank.

I never solved this one on 8 - but I found that I could get it to produce an audio file of the project by adding an extra blank track at the end of the project and trying to bounce having clicked on that empty file. At the moment in "X" I have silence, although the project plays correctly and in its entirety fine when I press play.

I am sure that I am not doing something correctly but I can not see at all what might be wrong - I have tried so many times to follow the instructions correctly and I believe that I am doing so - but - silence...

What on earth am I doing wrong?

I don't really want to resort to playing the project into my Zoom H2 as audio but...
Mach 109
New here

Re: "Empty" Bounce File - Logic Pro X

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:24 pm

I've never had bounce issues nor do I see this as a common problem online.

The bounce by default (from the menu commands) uses Outputs 1-2, so make sure your mix isn't routed to some other combination of outputs. If it is, you'll need to bounce from those outputs.

Otherwise, some more info would be helpful - do you get the same results doing realtime bounces *and* offline bounces? Are your start and end positions set correctly? Does it occur when using different types of output file? (eg, PCM vs compressed AAC/MP3)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Mach 109 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:37 am

Hi Desmond,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I tried a realtime bounce for the first time on this project and - yes - exactly the same. Since I have had exactly the same problem with two different versions of Logic on four different computers now I am sure that it is me. It is utterly frustating... I did a screen grab to potentially post to you but can find no way to use them on this forum.

Part of the problem initially with such a programme is finding what things are called. I have the very large Mac PDF that goes with this version of Logic so I will have to learn the terms to speak (type) sense as it were. The window that looks like a traditional mixing desk tells me that the Outputs are routed "St Out." The Stereo Out fader has a [Bnc] button and so I expect to be able to bounce quite simply without any problem from there. I have only tried PCM file output. It surely can't be any more difficult?

As I am right at the beginning of my skillset with Logic I have never played with outputting on anything other than a two-channel output and have never had to select "Outputs 1-2" or anything else.
Mach 109
New here

Postby Mach 109 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:44 am

Update -

I seem to have just managed it - I found that I could hear NOTHING from any file played and when I looked the Mac was attempting to play the sound through something called "Soundflower."

I have Googled this and am none the wiser. However, selecting the output to headphones produces audio from a bounced file. This seems to have solved the problem - but what on earth is "Soundflower?"
Mach 109
New here

Postby desmond » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:01 pm

Mach 109 wrote:The window that looks like a traditional mixing desk tells me that the Outputs are routed "St Out." The Stereo Out fader has a [Bnc] button and so I expect to be able to bounce quite simply without any problem from there. I have only tried PCM file output. It surely can't be any more difficult?

Yes, that's correct. When you "play" your project, do you see the meters move on the stereo output channel (to make sure the audio is routed to that output).

Mach 109 wrote:I seem to have just managed it - I found that I could hear NOTHING from any file played and when I looked the Mac was attempting to play the sound through something called "Soundflower."

I have Googled this and am none the wiser. However, selecting the output to headphones produces audio from a bounced file. This seems to have solved the problem - but what on earth is "Soundflower?"

Logic is currently set to Soundflower as the audio output device - this is a virtual audio driver that lets you route audio into different applications, and you have installed this at some point as it's a third-party tool.

Yes, to hear *anything* from Logic you need to set the audio output device to the audio device your speakers/headphones are plugged in - either your audio interface, or your computer's inbuilt audio. Otherwise, you're not going to hear anything.

This won't affect your bounce though, but it's possible you are bouncing correctly, but just can't hear your bounce because again, you can't hear anything from your computer. How are you listening to your bounce? If you load it back into Logic (now you have correctly set it's audio output device), do you hear it now, or do you get a blank file with no waveforms?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Mach 109 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:35 pm

Thank you, Desmond,

That seems to be the problem sorted. It was the fact that I was once again having a bounce issue with the latest version and I was getting desperate. Changing the output setting has sorted the problem - and I'm sure that you are right - the other files were OK, just no audio output. It doesn't I don't think help with the problems I have had with Logic Studio 8 but I can at least use the latest version OK, it seems.

Thank you so much for pitching in with your assistance.
Mach 109
New here

Postby desmond » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:45 pm

Great! :thumbup:

If you get stuck on anything, or need anything explained that would be helpful, just ask and myself or someone else here will try to help.
desmond
Jedi Poster