You are here

With Big Sur coming soon.

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: With Big Sur coming soon.

Postby S2 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:23 am

desmond wrote:Yes, it's *way* too early for anything other than early adopters, bleeding edgers, and non-demanding consumers to go there...

But prepare for another 6 months of "I upgraded to Big Sur, and now all my stuff doesn't work", and "No I didn't make backups of my old system I can revert to in case something didn't work out - how can I fix this?"

Ha ha, I definitely fell into that category. Upgraded (in ignorance) to Catalina without backing up and watched 70% of my software become useless. Fortunately Logic and its associated plugins were unaffected. Odd really since I'd never updated since I bought the Mac and was still on Mavericks at the time.

Still you learn by your mistakes and I've disabled auto update, and backed up with Time Machine.
S2
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:36 pm

I'm tempted to update to Big Sur. What can possibly go wrong.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby desmond » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:45 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:I'm tempted to update to Big Sur. What can possibly go wrong.

:lol:

*Nothing* can go wrong, as long as you make a system backup you can revert to in case you need to.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:54 pm

Baaah! Backups are for wimps.
Put your trust in the eternal apple.
:smirk:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Luke W » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:56 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:I'm tempted to update to Big Sur. What can possibly go wrong.

That's the spirit :lol:

I'm already seeing some shouty posts on social media demanding answers as to why "insert complicated software here" hasn't yet been made to work with an OS that's been out for less than a day. Some things never change...
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby RichardT » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:58 pm

I’ve skipped Catalina but I think I’ll go to Big Sur when everything is compatible. It looks quite attractive.
RichardT
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:00 pm

Having downloaded Catalina so I can upgrade to that when I'm ready I just wanted to ask are there many compatibility issues still left? (That's excluding the 32 bit issues, I've already identified those and decided what to do about them).

TIA,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby desmond » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:06 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Having downloaded Catalina so I can upgrade to that when I'm ready I just wanted to ask are there many compatibility issues still left? (That's excluding the 32 bit issues, I've already identified those and decided what to do about them).

That entirely depends on what software and hardware you are running. It's up to you to assess and check your software compatibility and make sure you won't be impacted.

You can always clone your system, install Catalina on the clone, and check how well things run before committing to anything.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:20 pm

desmond wrote:

:lol:

*Nothing* can go wrong, as long as you make a system backup you can revert to in case you need to.

Well it's high time I learned how to do that (the backup thing) so I think I'll give it a go. It might be marvellous.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:57 pm

It is marvelous when you need it. I had a hard drive crash recently. I would have lost some favourite files if I didn’t have a back up.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:04 am

desmond wrote:You can always clone your system, install Catalina on the clone, and check how well things run before committing to anything.

Good advice I think I'll take.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby redlester » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:56 pm

I really want the new Logic update so it's time to hold my breath and go from Mojave to Catalina. As far as I can ascertain all the stuff I use regularly now has the green light for Catalina although I do realise that's not the be all and end all.

Have just finished with Carbon Copy Cloner doing it's stuff, so here goes.
redlester
Regular

Previous