You are here

Create MIDI notes from hitpoints not working in Cubase 10.5 Pro ?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Create MIDI notes from hitpoints not working in Cubase 10.5 Pro ?

Postby David_Youngs » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I was following this YT video to check out how to replace / augmet some kick and snare parts on a recent project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV3o0AvLhCc

I'm following every step to the letter, and this is really just a nicely done walk-through of the Cubase manual - it looks right to me, just wanted a refresher really having not done this since Cubase 7.5.

But its not working for me - all the hitpoint detection part is working OK, I can set threshold, see the slices, play back the individual slices in 'Edit Hitpoints' (and in fact also use the hitpoints I've created for multi-track drum quantizing just fine).

Its just that the MIDI note generation isnt working for me - (like in the YT Vid at at 3:19) I click OK and get a new MIDI *track* created OK - but there's just one damned single MIDI note created.

I'm sure that I'm doing everything right. I even tried another dummy project (me beat boxing badly to create a basic drum groove) - same problem, I can detect hitpoints, play slices etc. just fine - but I dont get a MIDI event for every audio event which has a hitpoint detected.

I'm running v10.5.20 Build 179 on MacBook Pro - any ideas greatly received, real time burner for me at the mo and massively frustrating not being able to do this supposedly simple task.

Cheers,
David
David_Youngs
Poster

Re: Create MIDI notes from hitpoints not working in Cubase 10.5 Pro ?

Postby Matt Houghton » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi David,

Hmmm... Not that it helps you, but I just tried it here with C 10.5 Pro Build 10.5.20 on a late 2018 MacBook Pro running OS 10.14.1 (Mojave). And it worked just fine for me: I just set my hitpoints and clicked on the arrow next to Create MIDI Notes. I saw the dialogue and, as per my chosen settings, a new track was created and populated with the expected notes.

Could it be that the notes are too short to see in the key editor?! If so, switch to the MIDI drum editor and they'll show up.

But if they're not there are all, I think it's likely to be a case of try try again, or contact Steinberg support...

Cheers,

Matt
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby David_Youngs » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:20 pm

Hi Matt,

Thanks ever so much for the quick reply - much appreciated! That *does* help - because you've got the same version of Cubase and its working for you.

I'm running OS Catalina 10.15.7 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) if its of any use for this post. But it doesnt feel OS-ey to me - more something I'm missing or a Cubase problem.

I do get *one single MIDI event* when I run the Create MIDI Notes function - so *something* is happening, its just that it is far from the expected (i.e. loads of notes) result.

Its very odd, I will check out the MIDI key editor view idea - good shout. But I suspect it will not work because the event part shown on the (correctly created, but almost empty) MIDI track is only a few bars long and not the length of the whole track. It just seems that the detection is fubar.

I'll post back here after checking the MIDI key editor view to confirm - thanks again for your help.

David
David_Youngs
Poster

Postby David_Youngs » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:31 pm

Gaaah... tried opening up the (tiny) MIDI part auto-created on the new auto-created MIDI track, and its still just got the one, single C1 note there despite there being a good few hundre hitpoints generated from the kick track. Grrrr.

Looks like another expensive call to Hamburg on Monday between 09:00 - 11:00 (yeah, really..) and based on my previous experiences with Steinberg Support I'm not hopeful.

If I get a fix I'll be sure to post back here.

Cheers
David
David_Youngs
Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:30 pm

David_Youngs wrote:Gaaah... tried opening up the (tiny) MIDI part auto-created on the new auto-created MIDI track, and its still just got the one, single C1 note there

Well, it's doing something right then...

I can't guarantee this is your answer, but it does that when I have been auditioning the hitpoints in the sample editor with the little speaker tool: invariably, that leaves a single 'slice' selected, and if you then create MIDI notes it will only do so for the currently selected slice(s), which is helpful in some circumstances but not here!

If that's the case, in the sample editor, either select a different tool, or simply hit Cmd+A to select all, before hitting the button to generate MIDI notes.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby David_Youngs » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Matt, you've cracked it - that's *exactly* what was happening - I was indeed auditioning / tweaking slices and didnt realise that the focus (i.e. selection) would be on whatever the last slice selected was.

*Superstar!*

I'm not alone - Googling like mad this afternoon I finally found way down in the search results the thread at this URL describing exactly the same issue. I'll post this solution there to put everyone in that forum out of their misery :-)

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=162810

Thanks so much for the help, have an ace weekend.

Cheers
David
David_Youngs
Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:38 pm

Cool. Glad to learn we got to the bottom of it!
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor