You are here

BigSur Vs Mojave ???

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

BigSur Vs Mojave ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:03 pm

I see Apple have announced the release of their latest 64-bit OS BigSur. Evidently that means Garageband 10 is no longer available for Mojave OR Catalina? But only BigSur. Mojave was the last version of macOS to run 32-bit apps.

Apple's transition to 64-bit technology will create many issues for many musicians across the board running 32-bit plugin sample library's in all their DAWs.
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster
Music, a universal language that speaks to every soul, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convict's and heals.

Re: BigSur Vs Mojave ???

Postby desmond » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:16 pm

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:Apple's transition to 64-bit technology will create many issues for many musicians across the board running 32-bit plugin sample library's in all their DAWs.

Apple transitioned to 64-bit technology midway through Logic 7. I was there. Logic 7.2 was the first 64-bit pro app on the Mac.

Apple software has been 64-bit for years now. If people are still running 32-bit software, it's from a decade ago or more and is old and unsupported. And you're certainly not using 32-bit plugins in Logic, unless they're wrapped by a third-party solution.

I'm not sure how any of this has to do with "32-bit plugin sample library's" - if you're using Logic Pro, all the native plugins you are using are 64-bit and have been for a long time.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:39 pm

I don't know if you are trying to download GB or just bemoaning the fact that there will be no more updates for older OSX's but if you need to download it it looks like you might be able to download GB 10.3.2 here https://garageband.en.softonic.com/mac.

I can't check myself as I already have GB 10.3.2 installed on High Sierra.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:49 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I don't know if you are trying to download GB or just bemoaning the fact that there will be no more updates for older OSX's but if you need to download it it looks like you might be able to download GB 10.3.2 here https://garageband.en.softonic.com/mac.

I can't check myself as I already have GB 10.3.2 installed on High Sierra.

The intention was to download GB on OS Mojave for compatibility with Garritans CFX Piano library requiring MacOS Mojave 10,14,6, Latest. However Apple confirm GB 10 now only installs on OS 11 BigSur from the app store.

If upgrading to OS BigSur there will be a compatibility issue between the 32-bit plugin and the 64-bit OS. Therefore I'm assuming the only option is to install GB 6 if thats even possible?

I see your link for GB 10, thanks, will get back.
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster
Music, a universal language that speaks to every soul, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convict's and heals.

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:57 pm

Do you only use Garage Band? If so and it works for you then great but there are a lot of other more sophisticated DAWs out there which don't have to be installed via the app store.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:45 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Do you only use Garage Band? If so and it works for you then great but there are a lot of other more sophisticated DAWs out there which don't have to be installed via the app store.

Thanks for your support Sam, i agree, I'm just Apple conscious in using the App Store to know I'm installing a verified app, in advance could you recommend other trusted sites? where other DAWs including Garageband 10 can be installed.
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:39 pm

Not on in particular though softonic seems pretty legit. The problem with many third party download sites is the junk that surrounds them, not so much that the software is dodgy or the (very small) risk of viruses but the spam they seem to generate. But using a disposable email address to sign in helps minimise that.

You could, of course, sidestep the whole issue and move over to Reaper?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:10 am

I bought Logic Pro X, everything solved.
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster

Postby baward » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:43 pm

The main thing stopping me from upgrading from Mojave is Photoshop Elements, actually. I wonder what people use as a 64 replacement?
baward
Regular

Postby Mats G » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:43 pm

Have a look at Affinity Photo from Serif. Around £50, payed once, no subscription, in most if not all respects on par with Photoshop (full, not just elements). Made the switch a couple of years ago and recommend it wholeheartedly.
Mats G
Poster
Mats G

Postby baward » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:33 pm

Thanks Mats.

Mats G wrote:Have a look at Affinity Photo from Serif. Around £50, payed once, no subscription, in most if not all respects on par with Photoshop (full, not just elements). Made the switch a couple of years ago and recommend it wholeheartedly.
baward
Regular