You are here

Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:18 am

Hi

I intend to purchase and install the CFX piano library in logic Pro X, however Apple confirm Logic is 64-bit, so will the CFX library be compatible to run in Logic? Can't seem to find a definitive answer in the specs.

MacBook Pro, OS Mojave 10.14.6.

Thanks.
User avatar
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:00 pm
Music, a universal language that speaks to every soul, a euphoria of moods that helps to sooth heal and love.

Re: Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

Postby Chromeman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:52 pm

There's a section on the Garritan site (blogs) showing ARIA integration with both Finale and Logic X.
Chromeman
Regular
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:00 pm

Re: Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:07 pm

Chromeman wrote:There's a section on the Garritan site (blogs) showing ARIA integration with both Finale and Logic X.


Thanks for your support,

I understood the 32, 64-bit part, but just needed a definitive answer to be absolutely sure. If the CFX works 64-bit Logic why won't it work in a 64-bit OS? As garritan states CFX requirements are OS 10.10.6.
hence the reason I'm staying with Mojave 10.14.6.
User avatar
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:00 pm
Music, a universal language that speaks to every soul, a euphoria of moods that helps to sooth heal and love.

Re: Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

Postby desmond » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:53 pm

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:If the CFX works 64-bit Logic why won't it work in a 64-bit OS?

That's an assumption, based on their website info which says: "macOS 10.10-10.14".

That may mean:
- It doesn't work on 10.15
- It *may* work on 10.15, but we haven't tested it
- It works fine on 10.15, which just forgot to update the website

If in doubt, send them a message and ask.

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:hence the reason I'm staying with Mojave 10.14.6.

In which case, what's the problem?
It says it works on 10.14, so you're set, and therefore I'm confused as to the point of this post?
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10591
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:20 pm

Thanks Desmond.
User avatar
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:00 pm
Music, a universal language that speaks to every soul, a euphoria of moods that helps to sooth heal and love.

Re: Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:34 pm

No problem - they really should clarify those specs on their website to be more clear...
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10591
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:10 pm

So just to be clear,

When purchasing the CFX library do i choose 32-bit or 64-bit Plugin? It's a little confusing, the OS is Mojave 10.14.6. 32-bit, and Logic Pro X which is 64-bit.

It's been confirmed the CFX library comes in a 32 - 64-bit version, although that's clear, if choosing 64-bit? will it be compatible with the OS? Which is 32-bit.

Sorry for any confusion.

MacBook Pro, Mojave 16.14.6.
User avatar
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:00 pm
Music, a universal language that speaks to every soul, a euphoria of moods that helps to sooth heal and love.

Re: Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

Postby desmond » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:26 pm

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:Sorry for any confusion.

No problem. it's easy to be confused as you hear "32-bit" and think it's all the same thing. it isn't - that's just how you represent a number. 32-bit audio is not the same thing as 32-bit code and it's not the same thing as a 32-bit chip.

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:When purchasing the CFX library do i choose 32-bit or 64-bit Plugin? It's a little confusing, the OS is Mojave 10.14.6. 32-bit, and Logic Pro X which is 64-bit.

Logic is a 64-bit application. It *only* loads 64-bit plugins - any AU plugin version should be 64-bit today.

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:It's been confirmed the CFX library comes in a 32 - 64-bit version, although that's clear, if choosing 64-bit? will it be compatible with the OS? Which is 32-bit.

Why do you have to choose? Don't you just buy it, and it comes with all plugin formats for all platforms like any other plugin? As long as it has an AU version, you will be fine. I just tried to purchase the library from Garritan - there was no option about what formats to buy.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10591
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:29 pm

desmond wrote:Why do you have to choose? Don't you just buy it, and it comes with all plugin formats

That's correct, i was just confused about how Logics 64-bit would work in a 32-bit OS, but as you say as long as the plugin has an AU version (which is does) all should be fine.

In summary, Garritans CFX Concert Grand piano sample library comes in a 32-bit / 64-bit version, that's clear, so I'm good to go, however both the plugin and Logic at 64-bit will still be operating in a 32-bit OS, thats what i don't get.
User avatar
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:00 pm
Music, a universal language that speaks to every soul, a euphoria of moods that helps to sooth heal and love.

Re: Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

Postby desmond » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:37 pm

I don't know what you mean by "a 32-bit OS".

If you're confused about Catalina, *that drops support for 32-bit code*, to Mojave and earlier - it doesn't mean that Mojave and earlier are "32-bit" OS's - it just means that they will support both 64-bit *and* 32-bit code.

Anything reasonably modern will be 64-bit code, but if you have stuff from over a decade ago that was compiled as 32-bit code before apps went 64-bit - they will still technically work on up to Mojave, but won't on Catalina.

Apple's first app to go 64-bit was Logic 7.2. That was a looonog time ago - basically any software released in the last decade will be 64-bit code.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10591
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:49 am

desmond wrote:If you're confused about Catalina, *that drops support for 32-bit code*, to Mojave and earlier - it doesn't mean that Mojave and earlier are "32-bit" OS's - it just means that they will support both 64-bit *and* 32-bit code.

So Catalina and above won't support 32-bit code (apps) whereas Mojave is Apples last OS to support 32-bit code? Seeing as Mojave supports 32 and 64-bit code, when installing the CFX library i dont need to choose as Mojave supports both?

However if in the future i decide to update to Catalina or BigSur? Would it not be wise to go with a 64-bit AU plugin, as the CFX would then work straight inside Catalina or BigSur.
User avatar
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:00 pm
Music, a universal language that speaks to every soul, a euphoria of moods that helps to sooth heal and love.

Re: Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

Postby desmond » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:52 am

As I’ve said, Logic *only* supports 64bit plugins, for years now, regardless of your OS, so that is what you need.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10591
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:37 pm

Thanks again for your extended suppprt.
User avatar
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:00 pm
Music, a universal language that speaks to every soul, a euphoria of moods that helps to sooth heal and love.

Re: Logic Pro X & CFX Library ???

Postby desmond » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:50 pm

You're welcome! Like I say, there are no purchase choices that I can see, so I think you might be overthinking things a bit.

Buy the library, and install it on your platform of choice, and I'm pretty sure it will work fine! :thumbup:
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10591
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio