You are here

Logic Pro Samples ???

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Pro Samples ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:11 pm

Hi

When in Logic sampling drum loops with the intention to use on a project, their sound is robust having a large reverb cinematic effect, but when dragged in to a region with the rest of the score all the sound effect is lost, no reverb resulting in a flat drum tone. I've tried to reconstitute the effect in the controls section but nothing works.

How can i get them to sound the way they do in the loop browser?

Thanks.
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster
Music, a universal language that speaks to every soul, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convict's and heals.

Re: Logic Pro Samples ???

Postby desmond » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:13 pm

You're talking about the orchestral sounds yes?

(This is a really common question that comes up a lot, and I answered another of these over on LPH a few days ago...)

If not, can you give me the names of some example loops I can look at to see what's going on?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:06 pm

desmond wrote:Can you give me the names of some example loops I can look at to see what's going on

The Loops that i was working on when dragged in to the region that did not carry on their overall sound effects were,

Victoria orchestral E
Victoria orchestral D

Both these loops provided a big fat cinematic reverb.
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster
Music, a universal language that speaks to every soul, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convict's and heals.

Postby desmond » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:16 pm

Yes, they're orchestral, as expected.

This behaviour is by design with the orchestral loops in Logic. The reason being is that orchestral stuff almost almost always will be placed in some kind of reverberant environment (concert hall, etc), and hearing them dry, without reverb, will sound odd. So, the audio/preview has reverb so you can quickly hear the loop in context of a full reverberant environment, which would be how it's going to sound in your mix.

However, when you drag that loop in as a MIDI+instrument settings loop, the reverb is *not* part of the channel strip, intentionally. It's assumed that the person doing the orchestral arrangement already has a bussed reverb already set up, because you want to send all your orchestral instruments to the same reverb/environment.

If they included a reverb plugin on the orchestral loop content, you would end up with multiple individual instruments with their own reverb plugin. Not only is this very expensive CPU-wise, it also doesn't sound as natural as putting all the instruments through the same reverberant treatment. And for a new user who didn't understand how to mix, they might assume your supposed to have individual reverb plugins per channel, which is encouraging poor practices.

So - place your intended reverb (with whatever reverb settings best suit your track) on an aux channel, and use sends to send an appropriate amount of that channel to the reverb.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:25 am

desmond wrote:Yes, they're orchestral, as expected.

So - place your intended reverb (with whatever reverb settings best suit your track) on an aux channel, and use sends to send an appropriate amount of that channel to the reverb.

Your support has been very helpful at this point, however I'm new to Logic, evidently it will take time to get to an advanced level. Therefore your above suggestion being a little complexed, could i not just apply a reverb to the orchestral drum loop when inside the region?
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:50 pm

Yes, you can of course put a reverb plugin on whatever audio channel you want.

Just remember that, particularly with orchestral stuff, there is a difference between 100 musicians playing on one concert hall, versus 100 individual musicians each playing in their own unique concert hall alone - not to mention is require 100x the processor load to generate 100 reverbs rather than just one.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby thejazzassassin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:58 pm

Have a search on YouTube for using reverb on an aux channel in Logic. I'm sure there's loads of helpful videos at your skill level that will explain this very useful process. It sounds harder than it is, and it's something you can use on every project.

Think of it this way. Imagine your project was made up of lots of tracks containing similar loops or samples as you've mentioned in your first post. You've already ascertained that they don't have reverb on, so you find a reverb you like and apply it. But instead of having to apply it to each and every track in your project, which is not only laborious but also very hard on your CPU, you can apply one instance of the reverb to an Auxiliary (Aux) track. You can then send a signal from each of your loop / sample tracks to this Aux track and they'll all be treated by this one reverb. So instead of using a load of the same reverb plugins on every track, you're using one to treat them all.

This will save your time, computing power and will ensure your mix sounds natural because you're treating all of your tracks with the same reverb, giving cohesion to your sound.
thejazzassassin
Regular

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:35 pm

Thanks to you both, i will put in to effect your suggestions and post back.
DigitalMusicProduction
Poster