You are here

Logic Pro Drum Kit Designer

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Logic Pro Drum Kit Designer

Postby DanielBeach » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:48 pm

Hi,

A quick query, if anybody has any helpful ideas for me? I'm a bit stumped on an area I don't know too much about.

I've been programming drums using Drum Designer for a track, and I'm very happy with the sound. However, the output from DD seems quite low, to the extent that I'm having to turn up my (Focusrite) interface's speaker output almost to the maximum (and headphones past the maximum!) for it to be loud enough to get a good volume without the channel or the Master output clipping.

Is there a sensible/easy way to get a louder volume from DD? Or is it quiet normal that in an unmixed/unmastered/"unlimited" track the volume will be quite low?

Thanks,

Daniel
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------
Logic Pro X 10.5, Yamaha MODX8 keys, NI Komplete 12, AmpleSound Guitars, various other software!

Re: Logic Pro Drum Kit Designer

Postby desmond » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:16 pm

It depends how hard you're hitting the drums, and what's in the chain changing the volume.

There's nothing inherently "quiet" with the samples.

Hit a snare at a max velocity of 127. What level are you registering on the drum's channel, and the main output channel?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Logic Pro Drum Kit Designer

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Also worth checking what the velocity curve is set to. I bought a new drum VST fairly recently and was similarly underwhelmed by the volume until I realised it defaulted to a linear velocity. Setting it to a nice parabola got it sounding as I'd have expected.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...