You are here

Logic Pro - editing syllables

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Logic Pro - editing syllables

Postby DanielBeach » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:57 pm

Hi guys,

Another question to help out with an educational musical theatre project!

It’s amazing what you can learn....in just 24 hours I’ve discovered and used Flex Pitch and Flex Time for the firs time, and had very good results.

With about 10 kids having recorded their vocals at home, to a click track, I’ve successfully lined up all the individual tracks. Groove track had been great to “quantise” the start of words or syllables by choosing the most on-beat singer as the Groove track.

HOWEVER....I could use some advise on how to deal with the ENDS of words or syllables. That’s the bit I can’t work out. Mainly, it’s one or two singers holding the end of a phrase longer than the others, and I’d like to shorten the end of their last syllable of the phrase, but I can’t work out how to do it.

Also, if anybody has any quick advice on how to EQ/mix vocal recordings in different acoustics, and all recorded on mobile phones? Is it best to pick the cleanest/fullest sounding track and EQ match it to create a curve for the other tracks?

Thanks,

Daniel
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------
Logic Pro X 10.5, Yamaha MODX8 keys, NI Komplete 12, AmpleSound Guitars, various other software!

Re: Logic Pro - editing syllables

Postby desmond » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:09 pm

Flex Time lets you squash and stretch timings, so use that for the note endings.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby DanielBeach » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:20 pm

I spent quite a lot of time on that but couldn’t really get it to work convincingly. I’ll try another couple of tuition videos and have another go tomorrow.

Thanks
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------
Logic Pro X 10.5, Yamaha MODX8 keys, NI Komplete 12, AmpleSound Guitars, various other software!

Postby James Perrett » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:36 pm

Where the syllable ends on a 't' or an 's' (or another obvious consonant) you may want to keep only one or two with good timing and cut off the rest before the consonant. This is an old trick sometimes used on stacked backing vocals. The individual tracks will sound odd but it works as a whole.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby DanielBeach » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:39 pm

James - yes I did do quite a bit of that today :-)
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:10 am

Brings back memories of some very tedious word editing!
Before flex was invented I would zoom in and eyeball what hung over too long, comparing it to a track that worked. I placed the track I thought was working just above the track I was editing for best eyeballing. Then I would cut before and after the problem word and grab the bottom right corner of that word region, while holding Option key (or was it Control?). Then slide to the left, again eyeballing it against the other words on the working track above and you have an instant timeshrink or to the right - timestretch.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)