You are here

HDMI, VGA or DVI?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

HDMI, VGA or DVI?

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:26 pm

I have a computer monitor that accepts all three connections. Right now I am using HDMI but am wondering if there might be some advantage to using one of the others?
On the back of my ancient Mac tower I have an apple adapter so I can run the HDMI cable. It’s working fine but I never explored the other options.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: HDMI, VGA or DVI?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:12 pm

HDMI is preferable. VGA is really only useful for legacy stuff now and although it can do fairly high resolutions it can be a little unstable when it does and in my experience produces an inferior image due to lower refresh rates when pushed.

DVI can handle up to 1920x1200 (same as HDMI) officially but it doesn't support audio or HDCP encryption, the latter of which may cause issues playing back protected HD content.

HDMI generally 'just works' and the cables are less bulky as a rule so I'd stick with it if you're using it!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Luke W » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:18 pm

I'm not completely clued up on all things video, but I'd stick with HDMI personally. VGA is analogue and will only support much lower resolutions. DVI and HDMI are both digital formats but I think the newest version of HDMI supports higher resolutions/refresh rates than DVI, but I may well be wrong.

HDMI is the only one of the three to carry audio as well as video if that's a factor for you.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby BJG145 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:19 pm

VGA is analogue. The others are digital. Do you want analogue warmth on your monitor? Probably not. :headbang:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:23 pm

How ancient is your ancient computer? What feeds the HDMI adaptor? I think standards changed around 2013 or 2014 so that HDMI could handle higher resolutions.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:27 am

Its a 2010 Mac Pro and the monitor might be almost as old. It’s a second machine and due to lockdown not seeing that much use. I’ll try different resolutions from the Mac and see how the monitor responds. It wasn’t a high end monitor so it’s not as crisp as my other monitors. I asked my question as I know there are some folks here who know their video specs
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Agharta » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:22 am

I would generally find the maximum resolution that the monitor supports at 60Hz and use that.
There are different versions of HDMI 1.x and DVI.
HDMI is usually the easiest option.
DVI dual link also has a fairly high maximum resolution for that time period.
DVI can support HDCP and frequently does in the PC world.
DVI and HDMI are generally electrically compatible which is why you can use passive adapters or cables which are very inexpensive.
Make sure that your cables are certified for the bandwidth you are using.

I connect my desktop to my second monitor using DVI because it leaves its HDMI port free for when I want to connect my laptop to it. It’s easier to use HDMI cables usually.
Haven’t used VGA for a long time.
Agharta
Jedi Poster