You are here

2019 Intel Macbook Pro 16in to M1 Macbook Upgrade

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

2019 Intel Macbook Pro 16in to M1 Macbook Upgrade

Postby coreyautobee » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:44 pm

Bought this base Macbook Pro machine in May and its been great! Back then it seemed like the whole upcoming Apple Silicon M1 chips would be just okay in year 1 and it would take some time to really dial in. Well, here we are now and the broad consensus is that performance has exceeded expectations and is only getting better. Sheesh.

Seems like the writing on the wall is I need to sell my current Intel machine while I can, before a M1.5 or M2 chip based machine is released next year. I worry my current Intel machine will be severely devalued when someone can buy an older M1 machine for much cheaper in the future.

I work primarily in Logic and from what I can see from my plugins and interface, my workflow and plugins should not be interrupted .

Anyone in the same boat / have any thoughts?

Thanks!
coreyautobee
Poster

Re: 2019 Intel Macbook Pro 16in to M1 Macbook Upgrade

Postby Kwackman » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:54 pm

coreyautobee wrote:Anyone ....have any thoughts?
You wrote..
coreyautobee wrote:Bought this base Macbook Pro machine in May and its been great!
There's your answer, IMHO! If you have a good working system right now, keep it and get value out of it. It's going to be a long time before Apple stop supporting it.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby coreyautobee » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:58 pm

Kwackman wrote:
coreyautobee wrote:Anyone ....have any thoughts?
You wrote..
coreyautobee wrote:Bought this base Macbook Pro machine in May and its been great!
There's your answer, IMHO! If you have a good working system right now, keep it and get value out of it. It's going to be a long time before Apple stop supporting it.

Its more of a matter of the long term value of the new machine ( a performance bump doesnt hurt either)

Myself and others certainly didn't expect the M1 machines to be this strong out of the gate, hence why I bought the machine last May! I thought I would get years of value and top tier performance out of it.
coreyautobee
Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:22 pm

So, you want to sell your machine now, and wait for 6-9 months without a computer until Apple release the next MBP machines?

Or you want to “downgrade” to an Air or 13” Current laptop?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby coreyautobee » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:55 pm

desmond wrote:So, you want to sell your machine now, and wait for 6-9 months without a computer until Apple release the next MBP machines?

Or you want to “downgrade” to an Air or 13” Current laptop?

Ha! The first option would be very silly. Perhaps I didnt make myself clear.

Would purchase a new M1 Air and then sell my current 16" Intel machine.

The M1 Air seems to be a safe performance bump already in Logic, and I'd use that machine for years to come. Then when Im ready to move on from that one I would reckon the resale value on the M1 would be much higher than my current Intel Pro

Thats my current train of thought
coreyautobee
Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:58 pm

It's just much smaller screen, and fewer ports - if those things don't bother you, then go for it.

At this point, any Intel Mac is going to start depreciating much faster than usual over the coming year.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby coreyautobee » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:06 pm

desmond wrote:It's just much smaller screen, and fewer ports - if those things don't bother you, then go for it.

At this point, any Intel Mac is going to start depreciating much faster than usual over the coming year.

We're all dongled nowadays anyways *sigh*.

To be honest I dont think I ever liked how large this screen is/was!

Ha! Im a smaller person and came from an 11" Macbook Air and am using an original Iphone SE until it dies. I like the smaller stuff..
coreyautobee
Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:09 am

Each of the 3 MacBook Pros I've bought since 2007 I've used until they broke (6 years ish per machine) and then got a new one. Really only at the end of life did they struggle a little on what I demanded of them.

If selling it on at a decent price is really important to you then go ahead. However, even though the new M chips are apparently more powerful than the last Intel models, you've still got an incredible amount of power in the laptop you have. I've got a 2017 MacBook Pro, and there's still plenty of power in it that I've not used.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby johnny h » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:37 pm

Go for the M1, its faster, more efficient and built the future. Ok you lose a couple of ports, but so what if the main computer works so much better?

If you can hang on for the pro versions, do it if you have a true need for 2x the speed. If the geriatric intel x86 is enough for you, the M1 will be plenty.
johnny h
Jedi Poster