You are here

External optical drive options for Mac

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

External optical drive options for Mac

Postby Adam Inglis » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:27 pm

Any Mac users still accessing their CD/DVD audio libraries?
What hardware and software do you recommend?
Eons ago there was a thing called Toast, which was so intuitive... I recall I could quickly zoom in on the audio on disc, audition it, and snip just the bit I wanted without ripping the whole track. This is not something I've had to use for over ten years, but now there is a need....
Adam Inglis
Regular

Re: External optical drive options for Mac

Postby MOF » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:59 pm

I have a MBP 17” that allows me to use optical discs and toast. I recently bought a classical album download for my Dad in FLAC form, converted it to WAVs and then burnt to CD using Toast.
Toast is still available I see and I don’t see why an external optical drive won’t work.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:12 pm

I replaced the optical drive in my MBP with an SSD, and mounted the optical drive in an external USB enclosure.

I rarely need to access optical media these days, but when I do, it works fine. Toast is still a thing if you need it, although there are other options too depending on what you need to write.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Adam Inglis » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:57 pm

Many thanks people.
I've just realised I'm confusing my breakfast foods - it was Jam not Toast!
My purposes are for quickly scanning sample libraries and ripping bits from disc. If there aren't any caveats I'll just grab a Superdrive equivalent, but the SW front end can obviously make a big difference to this task.
Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby Adam Inglis » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:15 pm

Jam doesn't seem to exist in its original guise but this appears to do similar
https://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html
Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby BigRedX » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:26 am

I just bought a suitably sized hard drive and then copied all my sample CDs as AIFFs to it. Accessing from a hard drive is far quicker than from CD and if you can afford a suitable SSD it will be faster still. If I need just a segment of one of the sample tracks I load it into my DAW and trim to size before re-saving. It's quick enough for me. The CDs can then be stored somewhere safe as a last-resort back up.

TBH I don't think I have ever used Jam for anything other than burning Red Book standard CDs and even then it was replaced by Waveburner as soon as that became available.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Adam Inglis » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:38 am

Goodness me you are organised! I can't see that happening here!!
And unfortunately that Wavepad thingy doesn't have the functionality of lifting little bits out of audio tracks unless they've been ripped already. Ho hum
Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby BigRedX » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:27 am

My organisation was born out of necessity. I had been using my sample CDs as and when they were required, and often after an intensive programming/composing session I would be surrounded by discarded discs and their jewel cases as I searched for the right sample(s). One day I backed my chair over one of these discs destroying it completely. By the end of the following week I had everything transferred onto a hard drive and the discs safely in storage.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan