You are here

Key shortcuts in Ableton Live

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Key shortcuts in Ableton Live

Postby Adam Inglis » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:54 am

A long time Cubase user, I learnt Ableton Live about 15 years ago specifically for live show production that lasted a few years. I've recently installed LIve 10 to make certain warping-type work easier and faster, and it does a great job.
But I have a lot of "muscle-memory" (actually, cerebellum-memory but let's not be pedantic) invested in Cubase, and I would like my keyboard shorcuts in Live to match those in Cubase.
Now, I always thought this was possible on a Mac, but I'm not having any luck. I thought it was done throught the Accessibilty part of System Preferences, however this won't let me assign alpha keys on their own to a function, there must be a modifier key held down as well. (On Cubase, using the f, g and h keys I can very quickly follow an audio file, zoom in, edit, then zoom out and follow again, all without using the dreaded mouse).

Ableton does allow you to customise both Key and Midi control for whatever you can see on the screens (both Arrangement view and Session view) but this does not apply to the drop-down menus.

Any suggestions?

(I'm on El Cap)
Adam Inglis
Regular

Re: Key shortcuts in Ableton Live

Postby xFasterMikeyH » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:21 pm

I used to use Karabiner for things like this. It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure you can define key mappings per application.
https://karabiner-elements.pqrs.org/
xFasterMikeyH
Regular

Postby Adam Inglis » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:58 am

Thank you!
That looks like exactly what I need, I'll check it out.
Cheers
Adam
Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby Adam Inglis » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:43 pm

Hmmm, ok well, that kinda works, but the reassigned keys apply to all the open apps, not just Ableton. And you lose the other shorcuts because of the reassigment e.g. Command H to hide the app. There might be a way around this, but configuring it seems to be for code-heads!
My cerebellum might just have to adapt!
Adam Inglis
Regular