You are here

MacBook Pro, SSD ???

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

MacBook Pro, SSD ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:54 pm

Hi

I recently bought the Samsung T7 touch SSD to connect to a MacBook Pro as a dedicated drive for the use of a VI sample library, however I'm not sure if it's necessary to install the software that came with the T7 as it seems to plug and play straight out the box.. therefore do i need to install the software?

Thanks.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Re: MacBook Pro, SSD ???

Postby Agharta » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:29 pm

The software may offer encryption support or some such but it won't be needed for general usage.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:47 pm

Yup, just plug it in and go :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby rACed2 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:41 pm

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:Hi

I recently bought the Samsung T7 touch SSD to connect to a MacBook Pro as a dedicated drive for the use of a VI sample library, however I'm not sure if it's necessary to install the software that came with the T7 as it seems to plug and play straight out the box.. therefore do i need to install the software?

Thanks.

I would recommend checking what type of formatting the disc has 0 if its ExFAT then I suggest reformatting it to an Apple native format.
rACed2
Regular
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:16 pm

What he said. If that takes out the software, you're almost certainly missing nothing.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Intergalactic Mercurial Man of Mystery.

Postby Luke W » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:49 pm

I got a standard T7 today, the installer on the drive is indeed for the encryption software. Another shout for checking the format and reformatting if necessary, some libraries can be a bit fussy about the drives they're running from.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 pm

The T7 is brand new, why do i need to format the drive when there's nothing on it apart from the software. If its recommended? How do i go about it? There are different options in disk utility for reformating, APFS, exFAT etc, without harming the T7 drive which format option should i choose?

MacBook Pro, OS Mojave 10.14.06
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:30 pm

There are several disk formats Windows and OSX have their own. A new drive will be formatted but probably to a generic format so, if it's internal, reformatting to your OS's preferred format will maximise performance. If it's in a USB caddy you may want to leave the format as delivered so it can be read by both Windows and OSX.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Luke W » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:54 pm

As Sam says there are various drive formats each with different intended uses, and Windows/Mac OS both use different file systems that require particular formats.

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:The T7 is brand new, why do i need to format the drive when there's nothing on it apart from the software.

It's important to remember that formatting a drive isn't just about clearing the data, that's just something that needs to happen for the task to be carried out. It's about telling the drive how it reads and writes data, and the choice of format depends on the machine(s) it's connected to, and what they need to do with it.

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:How do i go about it? There are different options in disk utility for reformating, APFS, exFAT etc, without harming the T7 drive which format option should i choose?

MacBook Pro, OS Mojave 10.14.06

Disk Utility is indeed the way to go. You won't harm the drive, the worst thing you can do is use a format that your sample library doesn't like and that's easily resolved by just formatting again. If you're only ever going to use the drive on that one machine then APFS would be my suggestion, it'll likely give you the best performance.
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:54 pm

Thanks, i get it now, after some research it seems NTFS is the standard file format for Windows, and MacOS extended being the standard for Mac, whereas of 2017 APFS is a new file system format for SSDs on the Mac.

I'm wondering if its optional to choose between MacOS extended and APFS for formatting the T7 SSD, or would it be exclusive to APFS?
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Postby rACed2 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:14 pm

Unless you are planning on using the disc with a preSierra (or was it High Sierra that brought APFS?) macOS system you might as well use APFS.
rACed2
Regular
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.

Postby Luke W » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:49 pm

rACed2 wrote:Unless you are planning on using the disc with a preSierra (or was it High Sierra that brought APFS?) macOS system you might as well use APFS.

Yep, it is indeed High Sierra that started using APFS (or so Google tells me anyway). So the only reason to go for Mac OS Extended is for compatibility with an older OS, which doesn't seem to be needed here.
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:32 pm

The software that came with the T7 SSD is for creating a password, finger print recognition and encryption, therfore when formatting the drive to APFS for better compliance with the Mac, am i correct in saying it will delete everything including the software? Therefore not having the option to use any future passwords?
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:38 am

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:, am i correct in saying it will delete everything including the software? Therefore not having the option to use any future passwords?

Yes, if you reformat the disk you will lose the data. I always take a copy of the software that comes included but in 10 years + I've never needed to put it back on.
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:29 pm

Jumpeyspyder wrote:Yes, if you reformat the disk you will lose the data. I always take a copy of the software that comes included but in 10 years + I've never needed to put it back on.

Therefore i could make a copy of the software before formatting the T7 and simply move it back after formatting, i take it the software would then be possible to use on the T7 after it has been formatted?
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Next