You are here

Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby Gutter Pup » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:18 am

Hi !
My friend and I each do some recording on older Mac's. We both want to upgrade if it is both worthwhile and possible. I have a Mac Pro. He has a Power Mac G4 (unfortunately, I don't know more about the G4 at the present time). Reason for upgrade: We both want to be able to use the most recent version of recording software as possible. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/advise re: what, if anything, should be done/is possible, and, how to do it (?).
--- My system: OSX Snow Leopard,10.6.8, 2.8 gig Quad-Core- 32/64 bit (?),
memory (currently) = 3 gig (1066 mhz) - 3 slots filled w/ 1 gig, one open/available slot.
- I currently use Logic 9 (have been for quite a while).

--- My friend's system: G4 Power Mac.
- He currently records with Digital Performer 4

Thank you !!!
User avatar
Gutter Pup
New here
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:23 pm

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby desmond » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:41 am

You probably already are using the latest possible versions of daws that will run on that hardware. You’re not going to push them more than that - I mean you’re running Logic 9 on three(!) gigs of ram. You really aren’t going to want to try to upgrade the os and run an early version of LPX, it just isn’t worth it and your performance will go backwards.

The entry level Mac Mini and LPX will smoke your old system, and isn’t that expensive (though of course you might need to upgrade other hardware at the same time...)
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11202
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby Gutter Pup » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:10 am

Thank you !
User avatar
Gutter Pup
New here
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:23 pm

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby al_diablo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:13 am

If yours is a 2010 mac pro, the 2010 quad core mac pro can be upgraded to mojave and LPX but will require at least a ram upgrade and a new graphics card, which will cost quite a chunk, and probably a new ssd too. I have done this recently but I'd already upgraded the machine a number of times over the years so it's a slightly different story
al_diablo
Regular
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:26 pm

It was long ago so I hope I have my facts right - I have a 2010 Mac Pro. I believe it was a 6 core machine. I found chips online to convert to a 12 core. I also maxed out the internal ram. Best bang for the buck for me, cheaper than buying an equivalent used tower. I didn’t need to upgrade the graphics card. I can run High Sierra and almost the latest Logic X. I think I’m 2 updates behind.
One last thing - I think there was only one version of the 2010 that would allow such an upgrade. It was called the 5,1 machine. If you do an About This Mac and see 5,1 in the specs you have a highly desired and much sought after machine.
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4114
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: O Canada

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:45 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I can run High Sierra and almost the latest Logic X. I think I’m 2 updates behind.

10.4.8 is the last Logic Pro X you can run in High Sierra. 10.5.x require Mojave (and Metal) and 10.6.x requires Catalina.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11202
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby Gutter Pup » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:14 pm

desmond wrote:
"10.4.8 is the last Logic Pro X you can run in High Sierra. 10.5.x require Mojave (and Metal) and 10.6.x requires Catalina."
- ? My 10.6.8 came with Snow Leopard . . . what is the latest version it will handle ?
User avatar
Gutter Pup
New here
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:23 pm

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby desmond » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:45 pm

desmond wrote:You probably already are using the latest possible versions of daws that will run on that hardware.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11202
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:00 pm

Some, understandable, confusion WRT version numbers, Snow Leopard is Mac OS 10.6.8, what Desmond is referring to is Logic Pro 10.6.x needing Catalina to run (not the similar version numbers).

Go an right click the apple symbol, top left of your screen the click "About This Mac". The pop up will tell you which OS you are running (presumably macOS Snow Leopard, Version 10.6.8) below it will tell you the exact model you have, mine says "MacPro (mid 2008)". Tell us what yours says and someone can answer your question.

Supplementary question... Why do you feel you need to run the latest version of Logic? There's nothing wrong with doing so but unless there is something specific feature you need that your current version doesn't;t have then an older version should be capable of getting the job done, and may run slightly better on an older machine.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15197
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby desmond » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:17 pm

The OP is on Logic 9, on Snow Leopard, with 3 gigs of RAM. As I said in the first response, there is no way that the OP is going to be able to get even close to running LPX (Logic 10) on his hardware, so he already has the latest version of Logic that he can run.

(Depending on his LP9.x sub-version, he might not have the absolute latest build of LP9, but in any case it's not going to really make any significant difference).

To go beyond LP9, the OP will have to upgrade his hardware significantly (and his OS) just to run LPX.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11202
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:44 pm

Yup, understood, it all hinges on which version of the MacPro he has, hence my question.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15197
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby psybersonic » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:17 pm

I run Logic10.3 on a 2007 iMac (El Capitan) with 3GB memory. It works fine especially since I put a 1TB SSD in it but I'm not running more than 20 tracks including busses and no non native inserts. Biggest problem for the OP will be getting the Logic 10.3 code. At the beginning of lockdown I needed an RDP client for my wife to use for home working. Latest version on app store needs 10.13, El Capitan is 10.11. App store said no.
psybersonic
New here
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby desmond » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:56 pm

psybersonic wrote:I run Logic10.3 on a 2007 iMac (El Capitan) with 3GB memory.

El Cap is five major OS versions on from Snow Leopard. If the OP can get El Cap running on his hardware, *and* you can find an old copy of LPX 10.3, then you could try. Honestly though, I can't imagine what the performance is like. El Cap running on a MBP with 8GB of ram was already hitting swap space (with an SSD though, the performance drop won't be so visible compared to a spinning rust drive), but as you say, you're using it in a limited capacity with a handful of audio tracks from an SSD and few plugins.

If you can work like that, more power to you! :clap:

I just can't see that the hassle is in any way worth it, personally - but that's not my decision of course. Thanks for weighing in with some additional user experience data. :thumbup:

psybersonic wrote:Latest version on app store needs 10.13, El Capitan is 10.11. App store said no.

The App Store is now only delivering Logic 10.6.x, many people are not being able to access the App Store's previous behaviour of delivering the last compatible version of an app, so people on eg Mojave aren't even able to download Logic 10.5.x. It's... annoying...
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11202
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:50 pm

desmond wrote:The App Store is now only delivering Logic 10.6.x, many people are not being able to access the App Store's previous behaviour of delivering the last compatible version of an app, so people on eg Mojave aren't even able to download Logic 10.5.x. It's... annoying...

The same thing happened in the iOS app store a couple of years or more ago meaning my old iPads, which otherwise work fine, are becoming less useful than they could be, I can carry on with the apps I have but if I lose them off the iPad I'm stuck*... :madas:

* Actually not quite, if I still have the app somewhere and am prepared to temporarily install an old version of iTunes (one that still allows you to manage apps) I can reinstall old stuff...
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15197
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Upgrading Mac Pro and Power Mac

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:46 pm

I don’t see what the bloody harm is in keeping older machines going? In the very least it keeps them out of the landfill. The second hand Mac market keeps people employed and people with not much budget can still live in Mac land using older software with all it’s limitations. I’ll stop my rant here even though Mail just stopped working on an older machine that up until 2 weeks ago was working fine.
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4114
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: O Canada

Next